Mobile Food Vending Permits

The City of Oakland requires a Mobile Food Vending permit to sell food from a truck, trailer or cart on private property, the sidewalk, or the street. This is in addition to Alameda County health permits, a City of Oakland Business Tax Certificate, and other applicable permits.

Sign-Up for Email Updates


Oakland was one of the first cities in the country to create a mobile food vending permit program. Over fifteen years later, mobile food vending has grown in popularity and diversity, both locally and nationwide. The City revised its regulations in 2017 to keep up with these changes and increase opportunities for entrepreneurs to start a new food vending business, while protecting the health, safety, comfort, convenience, and general welfare of the community.

We are not accepting applications for new mobile food vending permits at this time. Please check this page later for updates.

The Oakland Fire Department inspects all food trucks and commissary trucks for gas systems and fire prevention safety measures. Vendors must apply with the Department of Fire Prevention for an inspection and Fire Clearance. Schedule a Fire Safety Inspection.

Contact Us

Map location for Mobile Food Vending Permits, located at 250 Frank H Ogawa Plaza in Oakland, CA 94612
250 Frank H Ogawa Plaza
2nd Floor
Oakland, CA 94612

Phone Numbers