The body achieves what the mind believes! Take a look at our classes we offer below and let us guide you along your fitness journey, come workout and feel the burn ! (SCHEDULE SUBJECT TO CHANGE, Updated as of 2/29/24)
Group Exercise Schedule
OPRYD Upcoming Events: Town Family Fun Fest
Come join us on March 16th and April 5th ! Shuttle services will be offered at the location below. Learn more about the services we offer and how we can enhance your quality of life with recreation !
- 81st Avenue Library: 1021 81st Ave
- East Oakland Community Project: 7515 International Blvd
- Lionel Wilson: 400 105th Ave
Whether you want to cool down after a hot day, take a class or bring your toddler for a quick dip we have a little bit of everything for everyone ! (SCHEDULE SUBJECT TO CHANGE ,Updated as of 2/29/24)
Introductory School of Dance
Come explore the world through our dance classes! Our instructors will take you on a tour of the different types of styles offered all over the world! Come try a class and learn a new skill! Now offering Dance for fun, K-Pop, and Tap styles of dancing !
About the Center
The Sports Center is part of the Complex located within the William “Bill” Patterson Park and includes state-of-the-art fitness, aquatic and dance center, as well as Ira Jinkins Recreation Center and gymnasium, tennis courts, baseball diamond, and toddler playground. The concept for the East Oakland Sports Center (EOSC) originated with a vision from Councilmember Reid to create a recreation complex and destination venue for the City of Oakland residents and visitors that is affordable, accessible and available.
We also have monthly, yearly, senior, and youth memberships available. Please contact us for more details.
Programs and Activities
The 3,600 sq. ft. fitness center offers a variety of cardio equipment, free weights, fitness machines, group exercise classes, and personal training services to help you meet your fitness goals. Services include a member orientation for the equipment and the facility.
Membership Health Programs
We currently accept members that qualify for Silver Sneakers, Active and Fit, and Silver and Fit. Speak with your health care provider to see if you qualify for these programs and call the numbers below to verify full eligibility.
Silver Sneakers: 1-877-427-4788
Active and Fit: 1-877-771-2746
Silver and Fit: 1-866-456-3065
Group Exercise Classes
- Boxing (Seasonal): Our instructor will help build your hand eye coordination through various drills, and teach you a number of combination exercises you can practice here and at home! You will have an opportunity to enhance these skills by practicing with a partner during certain portions of the class. Each class will teach you a variety of combos, warm ups, and specialized skills!
- Boot Camp (Seasonal): This class is a high intensity interval training (HIIT) workout that will combine intense activity followed by an interval of light training exercises. If you are looking for a class that will work out your entire body through cardio, bodyweight and/or resistance training then this is the class for you! NOW AVAILABLE!
- Spin: Our instructor will take you on a guided ride that will workout your whole body. This is a low impact but high intensity workout, that will take you through intervals of rolling hills, sprints, climbs, and runs through music carefully selected by the instructor.
- Weight Training: A type of strength training that uses weights for resistance or utilize weight machines, dumb bells and barbells. It stresses and strengthens your muscles over time. The activity of lifting heavy objects for exercise especially to improve the strength of muscles and the appearance of the body.
- Yoga Flow: Mindful movement and yoga uses techniques to teach students to adapt yoga poses to their body promoting increased elasticity, strength, balance, decreased reactivity, and sense of wellbeing. This practice promotes great insights as to how we hold tension, move (or do not move) our bodies, and how we relate to the sensations in the body. Students leave feeling refreshed, and more stable, strong and supple in both body and mind.
- Zumba: An exercise program that is based on dance and aerobic exercises. Including movements of various musical styles, generally Latin American. These exercises are used to work different muscle groups, especially the arms, legs, glutes, and back. A Zumba class will have: merengue, salsa, cha-cha reggaeton, bachata, samba, soca, hip hop, belly dance, among other rhythms. The general idea is that exercise feels more like a party than a typical workout. This class is for everyone! Come and have fun with us!
Introductory School of Dance
Check out our list of dance, gymnastics, & martial arts classes at the East Oakland Sports Center Introductory School of Dance. All classes meet once a week for 5 weeks.
- Beginner Ballet I & II: Focuses on Ballet technique : barre, center floor, across the floor, and combinations. Understanding Ballet etiquette, brief history, and terminology will also be covered.
- Gymnastics I&II: Your child will be guided through the basic fundamentals of fitness and gymnastics in a fun and goal oriented manner. We will explore mat work, balance beam, and uneven bars. Kids will learn proper gymnastics techniques while improving flexibility, strength and balance. Please note at the end of the session all students will be evaluated.
- Gymnastics III: Please note this is an advanced level class w/performance opportunities. Students must have gone through Gymnastics 1 & 2 and completed/passed evaluation or must have prior
gymnastics experience at another facility to be placed in gymnastics 3. Your child will be using the techniques they learned from Gymnastics1 & 2 and will put their strength, flexibility, and
balance to the test by learning new and exciting apparatus routines. This includes, round-off, front & back-handsprings, Ariels, etc.
- Beginner Hip Hop: This high energy class fuses different street styles in a fun and innovative way. Students will explore basic hip-hop dance-fundamentals such as rhythm, musicality, and physical
coordination through choreography, games, & more!
- Intermediate Hip Hop: Please note this is an advanced level class w/ performance opportunities. Students must have prior dance experience to enroll. This class will focus on freestyling, and a wide range of
different styles including: Isolations, Popping, Locking, Krump and Break dancing. Students will learn articulate movement, intermediate musicality, rhythm awareness, and the development of
- Tots Gymnastics: This class will explore pre-gymnastics skills. Students will learn basic tumbling in the midst of singing, gross motor activities, and game play. We will explore mat work, balance beam and uneven parallel bars. Kids will learn proper gymnastic techniques while improving flexibility, strength and balance. Most of all, this class is fun!
- Jazz Fusion Dance: Jazz dance taught in this class is a style that combines elements of ballet, modern, and various rhythmic dance techniques. Class is designed to be fun and motivating to spark the interest of the students and encourage them to want to continue to learn dance. Dancers will develop technique, strength, flexibility, endurance confidence, improvisation and own personal style.
- Ballet Folklorico: Is a cultural art that originates from the state of Mexico. In this class we learn dances from many different regions from Mexico. So far, we have learned some dances from Sinaloa and Nayarit. We are now starting to work on Veracruz and hopefully Chiapas. Each dance has a different wardrobe that is very specific to its region and lots of the dances depending on the region tell a story. With Ballet Folklorico we can do so much more than just dancing. We can be telling a story, expressing emotion, and even sharing traditions that have been carried through time. Folklorico is colorful, joyful and best of all FUN.
- Dance Ensemble: A company of dancers that rehearse weekly in preparation for various community performances throughout the year. Participants of all ages can audition for various dance styles including Ballet, Jazz, Modern, and Contemporary. For more information and to schedule an audition, please contact us at 510-615-5838 during regular business hours
- Jazz: Participants will learn the fundamentals of Jazz dance: grounded, rhythm and counter rhythm, coordination, timing, syncopation and more. Vernacular dance elements will be incorporated as well as Matt Matoox and Dunham ideals.
- Martial Arts: Interdisciplinary classes teach the fundamental stances, movement, offense and defense of Tae Kwon Do, Brazilian Jiujitsu, boxing and kickboxing with an emphasis on the kicks of Tae Kwon Do and wrestling for jiujitsu. Fast paced drills will develop your child's cardiovascular health and stamina. Children of all abilities are welcome to our fun, demanding yet supportive and joyful classes where they will incrementally progress in martial skill, health and well being.
- Stretch and Strength: Stretch and Strength is a class to help slow the body down by using the breath to relax the body muscles and hold the stretch. To help work on balance with movement and to strengthen the muscles with stretching routines
- Soul Line Dance: Soul line dance is a form of dance in which it is choreographed movements to music. The dances are danced in a line. The Soul Line dance uses basic steps, and rhythms dance with a routine to different music. If you know the “Electric Slide” you can Soul Line Dance.
- Martial Arts: Interdisciplinary classes teach the fundamental stances, movement, offense and defense of Tae Kwon Do, Brazilian Jiujitsu, boxing and kickboxing with an emphasis on the kicks of Tae Kwon Do and wrestling for jiujitsu. Fast paced drills will develop your child's cardiovascular health and stamina. Children of all abilities are welcome to our fun, demanding yet supportive and joyful classes where they will incrementally progress in martial skill, health and well being
POOL IS NOW OPEN AS OF 5/25, WATER SLIDE REMAINS UNAVAILABLE
The Aquatic Center includes a 9,000 sq. ft. indoor water park featuring a white water slide, activity pools, zero depth entry pool, lazy river and a two lane lap area ensuring fun for entire family.
Take a ride on our Whitewater Slide ®, float around on an inner tube in our Lazy River, and the toddlers love the zero depth play area.
Reserving East Oakland Sports Center
East Oakland Sports Center pool party room, outdoor picnic area, dance studio, and water park are available for rental throughout the week outside of regular programming. Please contact us for details on the availability of one of our spaces.
Recreation Centers may be reserved 30 days to 11 months in advance of the requested reservation date. If a request is approved for an event within two weeks to 30 days, an administrative service fee will apply. NO reservation requests are accepted less than two weeks in advance.
Holiday Closures 2023-24
Sunday, January 1st (New Year’s Day)
Sunday, January 2nd (New Year’s Day Observed)
Monday, January 16th (Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Day)
Monday, February 20th (Presidents Day)
Friday, March 31st (Cesar Chavez Day)
Monday, May 29th (Memorial Day)
Monday, June 19th (Juneteenth National Independence Day)
Tuesday July 4th (Independence Day)
Monday, September 4th (Labor Day)
Saturday, September 9th (Admissions Day)
Saturday, November 11th (Veterans Day)
Thursday, November 23rd (Thanksgiving Day)
Friday, November 24th (Day after Thanksgiving)
Sunday, December 24th (Christmas Eve)
Monday, December 25th (Christmas Day)
Sunday, December 31st (New Years Eve)
Monday, January 1st (New Year’s Day)