Below is a set of metrics, derived from the project goals, that will be used to evaluate the ongoing project:
- crashes and injuries for motorists, pedestrians and bicyclists
- volume of vehicles, bus passengers, bicycle riders, and pedestrians
- traffic speeds, including percentage of speeding vehicles and median speeds
- economic vitality, including growth in retail activity
- user satisfaction
The recommended project will improve safety for all modes of travel on Telegraph Avenue through a combination of treatments that include bicycle lanes, new and improved pedestrian crossings, relocated bus stops, additional turn lanes, and traffic signal upgrades.
The following summarizes the key Plan recommendations:
- Remove 1 travel lane on Telegraph Avenue in each direction between 19th Street and 41st Street to allow for the installation of bicycle and pedestrian safety improvements.
- Install parking-protected bicycle lanes (also known as “cycle tracks”) between 20th Street and 29th Street, using low-cost and interim materials (e.g., paint, striping, colored pavement, flex posts).
- Install buffered bicycle lanes between 29th Street and 41st Street, using low-cost and interim materials (e.g., paint, striping, colored pavement, flex posts).
- Install pedestrian improvements (e.g., median refuge islands, ladder crosswalks, curb extensions) using low-cost, interim materials.
- Reconfigure on-street parking, parking meters, and loading zones as needed to implement the proposed design, include potential designation of time-of-day loading zones.
- Relocate and consolidate bus stops to far-side locations to improve efficiency of bus transit operations.
- Construct permanent transit boarding islands at transit stops as funding is available.
- Prohibit on-street parking between 55th Street and Aileen Street under SR24 to connect existing Telegraph Avenue bicycle lanes to 55th Street and Shattuck Avenue bicycle routes.
- Evaluate the effectiveness of Phase 1 improvements to allow the City to seek funding for future capital improvements on Telegraph Avenue from 20th Street to 57th Street (e.g., curb relocations, stormwater management treatments).
- Seek funding for more focused design studies and community outreach on how best to reconfigure the street between 41st Street and 55th Street to become a complete street, including reconfiguration of the Telegraph Avenue/Shattuck Avenue intersection.