The next phase of the pilot is the implementation of demand-responsive parking meter rates. Demand-responsive parking seeks to improve parking availability by adjusting meter rates according to demand. Meter rates can be adjusted between $0.50 per hour and $4 per hour.
Value Zones have lower parking demand, so rates will go down to encourage parking here. Premium Zones have high parking demand, so rates will go up to free up more parking spaces.
Parking meter rates in Chinatown will be updated in August 2022. The lowest meter price will be set to ensure parking availability near your favorite destinations in Chinatown.
We want to hear from you! Tell us your thoughts about parking in Chinatown. You can email us your feedback on how to improve parking in Chinatown by emailing email@example.com.
The community has voiced concerns around the lack of parking and access to key facilities, double parking and loading challenges, and disabled parking placard misuse. These issues impact the safety and vibrancy of Oakland Chinatown. Limited parking availability makes it more difficult for visitors to access businesses and encourages drivers to double park or misuse loading zones. Chinatown also has a large disabled and senior population with accessibility concerns.
The Chinatown Loading& Parking Pilot project responds to constituent concern around parking and mobility challenges. This project is being conducted as part of Park Oakland, the City's Demand Responsive Parking and Mobility Management Initiative.
Past Meetings and Events
* Wednesday, August 29, 2018 from 3pm-5pm - Oakland-Alameda Access Project + Downtown Oakland Specific Plan community meeting at Asian Health Services
* Wednesday, September 5, 2018 from 1pm-4pm - First Wednesdays with Friends of Madison Park
* Tuesday, September 11, 2018 from 6pm-7pm - Chinatown Chamber Board meeting at Chinatown Chamber
* Wednesday, September 12, 2018 from 4pm-5pm - Chinatown Neighborhood Crime Prevention Council meeting at Hotel Oakland
* Thursday, September 20, 2018 from 11am-12pm - Asian Advisory Committee on Crime meeting at Pacific Renaissance Plaza (Suite 109)
* Friday, October 5, 2018 from 5pm-8pm - Lincoln Summer Nights at Lincoln Square Park and Recreation Center
* Wednesday, March 20, 2019 from 4pm-5pm - Chinatown Neighborhood Crime Prevention Council meeting at Hotel Oakland
* Tuesday, May 14, 2019 from 6pm-7pm - Chinatown Chamber Board meeting at Chinatown Chamber
* Friday, June 7, 2018 from 5pm-8pm - Lincoln Summer Nights at Lincoln Square Park and Recreation Center
* Saturday, August 24, 2019 from 10am-6pm - Oakland Chinatown Streetfest at Oakland Chinatown (9th Street between Broadway and Franklin)
* Tuesday, November 12, 2019 from 6pm-7pm - Chinatown Chamber Board meeting at Chinatown Chamber
* Thursday, November 21, 2019 from 11am-12pm - Asian Advisory Committee on Crime meeting at Pacific Renaissance Plaza (Suite 109)
* Wednesday, March 16, 2022 from 12pm-1pm - Chinatown Neighborhood Crime Prevention Council meeting at Lincoln Square Park (250 10th St.), Front Patio