Blockages are caused by debris;fats, oils and grease; and tree roots that gather in sewer pipes.
Placing debris down the drain contributes to sewer overflows that can backup into your neighborhood, your home or nearby waterways. Debris, such as used bandages, floss and wipes should never be put down drain or flushed ever.
Responsibility for maintaining the sewers is split between The City, EBMUD, and Property Owners.
- Property owners are responsible for the sewer lateral, which is the pipe connecting the house or building to the public sanitary sewer main.
- The City of Oakland is responsible for the main pipes that carry waste to the treatment plant.
- East Bay Municipal Utility District (EBMUD) is responsible for sewage treatment and disposal.
- EBMUD issues the Regional Private Sewer Lateral Compliance Certificates.
- Residential Pollution Prevention - 10 things you should not flush!