After completing the CERT training, course graduates will:
- Be able to identify and anticipate hazards in the home and workplace
- Understand what steps to take in order to increase personal and family readiness
- Be familiar with the Incident Command System and basic functions
- Know how to organize themselves and spontaneous volunteers in a disaster or emergency
- Know how to apply basic medical techniques/basic first aid
- Be able to set up medical treatment areas
- Know how to help reduce survivor and DSW-V stress
- Know how to safely extinguish small fires
- Be able to conduct light search and rescue activities
- Be able to assist emergency responders in mass casualty incidents.
- Understand the appropriate actions to take in an active shooter situation
- Be able to promote CERT Training in Oakland
Oakland CERT Training is available free of charge via hybrid [Digital/In-person] delivery, or via an accelerated 3- Day, in-person delivery. Teen CERT is typically delivered in-person, via the linked learning pathway and certification program at ARISE High School in Oakland.
Youth who do not attend ARISE High School may join any of the hybrid or accelerated CERT classes provided that parent or guardian permission has been obtained.