- Basic Application for Development Review - This application form is required for all planning & zoning permits except for pre-applications and Creek Protection Permits described below.
- Supplemental Forms - Most applications also require supplemental forms including findings for conditional use permits, design review and variances.
- Pre-application Form - Pre-applications are optional and allow you an opportunity to submit your preliminary plans for review by an assigned case planner.
- Appeal Application Form - Appeal of a decision to the Planning Commission or City Council.
- Creek Determination Application Form - A Creek Determination may be requested to identify whether or not a property within the City of Oakland is a creekside property, and therefore subject to regulation by the Creek Protection Ordinance.
- Creek Protection Permit Application Form - Creek Protection Permit is required for any proposed construction activity occurring on a creekside property. The extent to which your development will be regulated by the Creek Protection Ordinance depends upon the location and type of proposed work.
- Zoning Clearance Form (for Business License) - The first step to permitting a new business (including a home-based business) is the approval by the Planning Department of a Zoning Clearance.
- Affordable Housing Density Bonus Supplemental Form - Project applicants may use this form to request a Density Bonus or financially equivalent incentive(s) for a housing development that includes plans to construct a specified percentage of housing for low income households, very low income households, senior citizens, or providing child care facilities.
- City of Oakland Standard Conditions of Approval - Oakland's Standard Conditions of Approval (SCAs) incorporate development policies and standards from various adopted plans, policies, and ordinances. The SCAs include uniformly applied development standards intended to reduce adverse environmental effects, and include standards intended to address other issues of citywide concern. The SCAs as a whole are applied consistently to all development projects that require permits from the City of Oakland Planning Bureau at the time of approval, and each SCA individually states the circumstances that trigger its application to the project. In reviewing project applications, the Bureau of Planning determines which of the standard conditions are applied, based upon the specific characteristics of the project type, size, and location.
Planning & Building Forms
This page provides a series of Planning & Building forms for submitting and processing zoning and building applications and permits. They are provided here for your convenience, but you may need to talk to a planner, permit technician, or plan check engineer to advise you on the permits your project may require. Proposals may involve multiple permit approvals depending on the complexity of the land use issues and location of the proposed project.
Last Updated: October 4th, 2021 @ 10:29 AM
Building Permit Forms & Information
- Application Worksheet for Building Permits
- Mechanical, Electrical, and Plumbing (MEP) Permits: Application Worksheet | Info Page
- Alternative Materials and Methods Request (AMMR) Form
- Grading Permit Application
- PZ Permit Application (Private Construction or Modification of Onsite Infrastructure)
- Solar Systems & Facilities: Application | Info Page
- Application for Temporary Occupancy (TCO)
- Application for Sewer Lateral, Curb, Gutter, SW Excavation Permit (Dept. of Transportation)
Permit-Related Checklists and Directives
- Plans Submittal Checklist for Additions and Alterations
- Plans Submittal Checklist for New Construction
- Survey and Site Plan Checklists for New Construction
- Commercial Plan Submittal Requirements for Obtaining Building Permits
- Deck Plans Checklist
- Building Directive Concerning Gender Neutral Facilities
- State Regulations for Water Metering per Senate Bill SB-7 for Multi-Unit Structures
- Accessory Dwelling Unit Checklist & Consolidated Application
- Certificate of Compliance with SB407 for Water Saving Plumbing Fixtures
- Electric Vehicle Service Equipment / Charging Station Permits
Plan Check Related Forms
Accela Citizen Access (ACA) Portal User Forms
- Application for Report of Building Record (3-R Report)
- Expedited Records Research Request for Residential Report (3-R Report)
- Authorization from Property Owner Form (3-R Report)
- Viewing or Copying Archived Plans or Permits Guide (July 2020)
- Authorization to Duplicate Building Plans - Requestor Affidavit
- Authorization to Duplicate Building Plans - Professional of Record
- Authorization to Duplicate Building Plans - Property Owner Form