OPD Independent Monitoring Team (IMT) Monthly, Quarterly, and Annual ReportsClick Here
NSA with stipulations regarding pattern and practice claims revised December 2008Click Here
Oakland Police Department Office of the Inspector General (OIG)Click Here
About OPD's Independent Monitor
The Police Performance Solutions Independent Monitoring Team (PPS/IMT), chaired by Chief (Ret.) Robert S. Warsaw, consists of experts in law enforcement, police monitoring, auditing and evaluation, intergovernmental relations, civil rights compliance, constitutional considerations and best practices in contemporary policing. The IMT was hired by the City of Oakland in 2010 to monitor the Memorandum of Understanding related to OPD's NSA. Click on the IMT Reports button link above to view these monthly reports.
Where appropriate, PPS/IMT builds on existing work of both the prior monitor and OPD. PPS/IMT focuses on several core areas including:
- Internal Affairs and Citizen Complaints
- Use of Force
- The Personnel Assessment System
- Span of Control
- Management and Supervision (Oversight, Auditing and Review Systems).
PPS/IMT determines compliance through:
- Examination of the creation of policies
- Implementation of practices that support each requirement in the Agreement.
Office of the Compliance Director
On February 12, 2014 Judge Thelton Henderson issued an order to "concentrate the powers of the Compliance Director and Monitor into one position." Compliance Director Warshaw released his first progress report on Friday, April 18, 2014. Sixth Progress Report - 6/8/15 Fifth Progress Report - 3/16/15 Fourth Progress Report - 12/1/14 Third Progress Report - 8/25/14 Second Progress Report - 6/16/14 First Progress Report - 4/18/14
- Sixth Progress Report - 6/8/15
- Fifth Progress Report - 3/16/15
- Fourth Progress Report - 12/1/14
- Third Progress Report - 8/25/14
- Second Progress Report - 6/16/14
- First Progress Report - 4/18/14
Informe sobre el progreso del Director de Cumplimiento para el Departamento de Policía Oakland
- Sexto informe del progreso
- Quinto informe del progreso
- Cuarto informe del progreso
- Tercer informe del progreso
- Segundo informe del progreso
- Primer informe sobre el progreso del Director de Cumplimiento para el Departamento de Policía Oakland
- 屋崙 (奧克蘭) 警察局遵約主任第六次進度報告 2015年6月8日
- 屋崙 (奧克蘭) 警察局遵約主任第五次進度報告 2015 年3 月6 日
- 屋崙 (奧克蘭) 警察局遵約主任第四次進度報告 2014 年 12 月 1 日
- 屋崙 (奧克蘭) 警察局遵約主任第一次進度報告 2014 年 4 月 18 日
Thomas Frazier, Compliance Director 2013 - 2014
Remedial Action Plan
On March 4, 2013, Judge Henderson appointed Commissioner Thomas C. Frazier (Ret.) as the Compliance Director. Commissioner Frazier served from March 2013 to February 2014, when Judge Henderson consolidated the roles of Monitor and Compliance Director and tasked (Ret.) Chief Robert S. Warshaw to serve in the newly consolidated position.
The Compliance Director was required to file a Remedial Action Plan (“Plan”) within 30 days of appointment. The Plan is to:
- Address deficiencies that led OPD to noncompliance with the NSA
- Explain how the Plan will facilitate sustainable compliance with all outstanding tasks by December 2013 or as soon thereafter as possible.
Court Appointed Compliance Director
- The Court will appoint a Compliance Director. As the Court’s agent, the Compliance Director will report directly to the Court.
- Pursuant to the December 12, 2012 order,the Court hereby appoints Thomas C. Frazier to serve as the Compliance Director.
- Thomas C. Frazier, Frazier Group, LLC - Resume
Monthly Compliance Director Progress Reports, July - December 2013
- 6th Monthly Progress Report, December 2013
- 5th Monthly Progress Report, November 2013
- 4th Monthly Progress Report, October 2013
- 3rd Monthly Progress Report, September 2013
- 2nd Monthly Progress Report, August 2013
- 1st Monthly Progress Report, July 2013
NSA-Related Publications from Varied Sources
- Order Re: Force Review Board and Executive Force Review Board - 12/11/15
- Order Requiring Quarterly Reports on Arbitrations - 9/28/15
- Order Modifying Monitoring Plan - 5/21/15
- Order Re: Investigator's Report on Arbitrations - 4/20/15
- Report of the Court‐Appointed Investigator in Delphine Allen v. City of Oakland - 4/16/15
- Zeroing Out Crime -- Strategic Policy Partnership, LLC, December 2013
- Parties' Joint Submission of Proposed Order - Regarding Plaintiff's Receivership Motion -- Bratton Group, December 5, 2012
- Best Practices Review -- Strategic Policy Partnership, LLC, October 2013
- Rapid and Effective Response to Robberies, Burglaries and Shootings -- Strategic Policy Partnership, LLC, May 2013
- Bratton Group Findings & Recommendations, May 9, 2013
- Joint statement on the naming of Thomas Frazier as NSA Compliance Director in Oakland - March 2013
2012 and Earlier
- Quan, Santana, Jordan Respond to Judge's Order in OPD Case - December 2012
- City of Oakland Filing in Response to Motion to Appoint a Receiver - November 2012
- City files opposition to plaintiffs' motion for receivership for the Oakland Police Department - November 2012
- Background Fact Sheet on Negotiated Settlement Agreement - 2012
- Officer-Involved Shootings - On October 2, 2012, the Office of the Independent Monitor released a special report on an officer-involved shooting. A redacted version of this document is available here.
- Review of the Independent Investigation of October 25, 2011 Occupy Oakland Response - On May 31, 2012, the Honorable Thelton E. Henderson issued a Court Order (Dkt. No. 692) requiring that the Monitor review the Frazier Group report regarding the Occupy Oakland events of October 25, 2011. The Monitor's review is available here.
- Independent Board of Inquiry Report - Concerning OPD's Response on March 21, 2009.