Illegal dumping of garbage and hazardous waste is a problem that presents serious environmental and public health concerns for all Oakland residents. Illegal dumping impacts our community in many ways:
- It is ugly
- It may contain sharp and pointed objects that can cause injuries
- It can block sidewalks, and force people into the street to get around the trash
- It is a possible fire hazard, and may contain dangerous hazardous materials and chemicals
- It pollutes our environment and our water sources
- It can block storm drains and lead to flooding
- It threatens our health and safety by attracting and harboring mosquitoes, rats, and flies that can spread disease
- It is a huge cost to the City of Oakland to investigate and clean-up.
Doing Our Part – OPW’s Work as Part of the Solution
Oakland Public Works cannot solve the illegal dumping problem alone, but we do play several important roles. OPW responsibilities include:
- Cleaning public streets, parks, and waterways such as creeks and Lake Merritt.
- Overseeing trash, composting, and recycling service contracts so Oaklanders can properly dispose of their trash and junk, including the big, bulky items that don’t fit in carts – see OaklandRecycles.com for details.
- Protecting water quality and wildlife habitat through street sweeping and storm-drain inlet cleaning, as well as watershed restoration projects.
- Initiating and supporting Oakland greening and beautification projects
What You Can Do to Take on Illegal Dumping
Don't Dump Your Junk!
- Call Waste Management of Alameda County to initiate weekly curbside pickup service if you don't have it now. Call (510) 613-8710 or e-mail email@example.com.
- Use your annual curbside Bulky Pickup Service for your unwanted items! Use your Bulky Pickup for things that don’t fit in your trash cart and encourage your neighbors to do the same. Find details at OaklandRecycles.com, or call Waste Management at 510-613-8710 to make your Bulky appointment now!
- Dispose of your bulky items at the monthly Bulky Block Parties.
Be Careful When Using Haulers!
- Request dump receipts from anyone hauling unwanted items from your home or business before paying. A “good deal” may mean your stuff is being illegally dumped in Oakland.
- Be sure to use a permitted hauler to remove construction and demolition materials.
Report Illegal Dumping!
- Report illegal dumping when and where you see it to OAK 311 by dialing 311 or (510) 615-5566.
- Use the OAK 311 app on your smart phone to photograph and report illegal dumping. Available free in the Apple App Store and Google Play.
- Participate in the City Rewards Program for reporting illegal dumping.
Volunteer to Keep Oakland Clean & Beautiful!
- Keep your neighborhoods, parks, and creeks clean by volunteering with Oakland Public Works.