Engineering Services

The OakDOT Engineering Services team issues permits for privately-funded projects or work in the City of Oakland Right-of-Way and processes Subdivision maps.


The Oakland Department of Transportation (OakDOT) accepts permit applications electronically and in-person.

Click on a permit type below for additional information and to apply for the permit.

If you have questions, you may contact OakDOT at or (510) 238-3199.

If you would like to meet with OakDOT staff to discuss permit-related questions, we are offering walk-in service on Mondays and Wednesdays and in-person appointments on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Please visit the Permits & Meetings page to schedule an appointment.

We look forward to seeing and serving you!




1. How much will my permit(s) cost?

Answer: Fees are determined by the Master Fee Schedule approved by the City Council. Fees are usually adjusted beginning on July 1st at the beginning of each fiscal year. You can find the Master Fee Schedule, here.

Permit fee range greatly depending on the types of permits. A flat fee can be as low as $140 for an obstruction permit for one parking space per day. Cost based fees are on a sliding scale, for example PX Permits are based on the Engineer’s Cost Estimate. A PX Permit can range from thousands of dollars to hundreds of thousands of dollars. Each Permit Application Package includes “HOW ARE FEES CALCULATED” Sheet(s) for that permit.

2. I am not sure the types of permits I need for my projects. Where can I get more information?

Answer: Each Permit Application Package includes FAQ’s Sheet(s) for that permit. Click on the individual permit and scroll down to the FAQ’s sheet(s) for more information.

3. Can I speak with an Engineer?

Answer: Yes, please ask one of our Permit Technicians if an Engineer is available. The Permit Technicians are here to assist you.

4. I don’t know where my property lines are located. How can I get that information?

Answer: A Licensed Land Surveyor is the only qualified person to establish property lines. The Surveyor will arrive at a solution after investigating all the evidences (maps, deeds, improvements, monuments, etc.). Found pipes and pins in the ground may have no bearing on existing lot lines. However, only a surveyor can make that determination.

City staff is not able to establish property lines. A property owner must hire a Licensed Land Surveyors to define any property line.

For more information, see link:

5. What is an Assessor’s Parcel Map?

Answer: An Assessor’s Parcel Map and Number (APN#) is for taxes purposes only. See Alameda Website: For determining accurate property boundary lines and easements, see FAQ #3 above.

6. My Tentative Map is still under review. Can I apply for the Final Map?

Answer: No. Until the Zoning Manager has signed the project approval letter with the conditions of approval for the Tentative Map the Parcel or Tract (Final) Map cannot be accepted for review.

7. Why do I need an Encroachment Permit for my building and/or my basements constructed many years ago? Isn’t already approved and “grandfathered” in by the City.

Answer: Once an existing building and/or basement encroachment is identified it must be legalized by the Property Owner through the Encroachment Permit process.

8. Where can I get existing Utility Information?

The City’s storm drainage and sanitary sewer system can be viewed in the City's Dashboard. Select "Sewer Grid" in the Layer List.

Please note that sewer sheets only serve as reference in determining the location of existing utilities and may deviate from the actual locations. For all other utilities, the applicant must contact that individual utility company. For example, contact PG&E, EBMUD, Verizon, Comcast, AT&T, UPRR Caltrans and BART.

9. Do I need a business license to get my permit?

Answer: Contactors performing work within the City of Oakland must have a valid City business license before issuance of a permit. Business license will expire annually.

Was this page helpful?

Report a problem with this page

Your feedback will help us improve our website. We cannot reply individually to all feedback.
Your feedback will help us improve our website. We cannot reply individually to all feedback.
Your feedback will help us improve our website. We cannot reply individually to all feedback.