City of Oakland offices are closed today, March 31, 2023 in observance of Cesar Chavez day.

Utility Excavation Permit

For any utility excavation work within the City Right-Of-Way. Note: Traffic Control Plans are required if there is any impact on sidewalks or traffic lanes.

Book A Meeting
Schedule A Meeting to Apply In Person
Schedule An Inspection
Schedule An Inspection
Permit Application
Download Application

Utility Excavation (x) also includes minor encroachment (ENMI) for any above or below ground structures, cabinets, or antennas. Note: only Utility Companies or Utility Company approved contractors may apply for this permit. For more information, please see the FAQs and Informational Flow Charts in the application link above.

Holiday Restricted Streets

Limited Operation Streets

Paving Moratorium

Street Excavation Rules

Apply By Email: email your completed application to and Tesfaye Beyene

Apply In Person: The DOT Permit Counter is open to the public at our Permit Center on the 2nd Floor of 250 Frank H. Ogawa Plaza. Click here to schedule an appointment. Please note: masks are required for entry into City buildings.

If you have questions about the Utility Excavation Permit, please call the DOT Permit Counter at 510-238-3199 or email

OakDOT Permit Counter Hours

Monday: Closed

Tuesday: 9am - 12pm / 1pm - 4pm

Wednesday: 10am - 12pm / 1pm - 4pm

Thursday: 9am - 12pm / 1pm - 4pm

Friday: Closed