Minor Encroachment Permit

An Encroachment Permit allows your privately owned and maintained item or facility to occupy the public right-of-way.

Application for Minor Encroachment Permit (ENMI)
(510) 238-3199
Questions? Call DOT Permit Counter

A Minor Encroachment (ENMI) is defined as “…an encroachment into the public right-of-way resting on or projecting into the sidewalk area, but which is not structurally attached to a building, such as flowerpots, planter boxes, clocks, flagpole sockets, bus shelters, phone booths, bike racks, fences, non-advertising benches, curbs around planter areas, displays of flowers, fresh fruits and vegetables.”

DOT Permit Counter Hours

Monday: 8am-12pm / 1pm-4pm

Tuesday: 8am-12pm / 1pm-4pm

Wednesday: 9:30am-12pm / 1pm-4pm

Thursday: 8am-12pm / 1pm-4pm

Friday: 8am-12pm / 1pm-4pm


250 Frank Ogawa Plaza, 4th Floor, Suite 4314, Oakland, CA 94612