Commemorative Street Name Plaque
- A Commemorative Street Name Plaque is an honorary street name that is installed as a plaque or sign above the existing street name and which honors an exemplary Oaklander.
- The existing street name remains that same for official purposes such as mailing addresses, mapping, and emergency services.
- Commemorative Street Name Plaques are initiated by City Council.
- Typically, the Councilmember determines the location of the Commemorative Street Name Plaque and brings a resolution to City Council for a decision.
- Once City Council approves the Commemorative Street Name Plaque, the Oakland Department of Transportation (OakDOT) can review the application.
- The application for commemorative street name plaque is included above.
Street Name Change
- A Street Name Change officially changes the name of the street.
- Street Name Changes may not cause confusion or be similar to another street name in Oakland or nearby cities.
- Street Name Changes cannot impact traffic flow or emergency access or cause hardship on residents and/or businesses.
- Name Changes cannot disrupt sequential numbering of streets.
- Street Name Changes require a signed petition by affected residents and businesses with 67% supporting the name change.
- Street Name Changes are initiated by City Council.
- Once City Council approves the Street Name Change, OakDOT can review the application
- The application to formally rename a street is included in the links above.
Apply Online: Visit our Online Permit Center.
Apply By Email: email your completed application to DOTOnlinePermits@oaklandca.gov.
Apply In Person: The DOT Permit Counter is open to the public at our Permit Center on the 2nd Floor of 250 Frank H. Ogawa Plaza. Click here to schedule an appointment. Please note: masks are required for entry into City buildings.
If you have questions about the Obstruction Permit, please call the DOT Permit Counter at 510-238-3199 or email DOTOnlinePermits@oaklandca.gov.
OakDOT Permit Counter Hours
Monday: 9am - 12pm / 1pm - 4pm (virtual appointments)
Tuesday: 9am - 12pm / 1pm - 4pm (in-person appointments)
Wednesday: 10am - 12pm / 1pm - 4pm (virtual appointments)
Thursday: 9am - 12pm / 1pm - 4pm (in-person appointments)