PERMIT INSPECTIONS RESPONSE TO COVID19 EMERGENCY-REVISED March 31, 2020 8:00PM
Due to the revised and more stringent Public Health Shelter in Place Order issued on March 31st, 2020 and effective on April 1st
at 12:00AM from the Alameda County Public Health Officer. The City of Oakland, Planning and Building Department, Bureau of Building, Permit Inspections Services will only be conducting inspections as follows:
- Projects immediately necessary to the maintenance, operation, or repair of Essential Infrastructure.
- Projects associated with Healthcare Operations, including creating or expanding Healthcare Operations, provided that such construction is directly related to the COVID-19 response.
- Affordable housing that is or will be income-restricted, including multi-unit or mixed-use developments containing at least 10% income-restricted units.
- Public works projects if specifically designated as an Essential Governmental Function by the lead governmental agency.
- Shelters and temporary housing, but not including hotels or motels.
- Projects immediately necessary to provide critical non-commercial services to individuals experiencing homelessness, elderly persons, persons who are economically disadvantaged, and persons with special needs.
- Construction necessary to ensure that existing construction sites that must be shut down under this order are left in a safe and secure manner, but only to the extent necessary to do so.
- Construction or repair necessary to ensure that residences and buildings containing Essential Businesses are safe, sanitary, or habitable to the extent such construction or repair cannot reasonably be delayed.
To schedule an inspection per the above order, please call 510-238-3444.
For permit inspection questions, email InspectionInfo@oaklandca.gov.
All other inspection types not listed above will not be conducted.
Inspections already scheduled that do not meet the above orders will be screened by permit inspectors during morning calls and inspectors will determine if the inspection will be conducted or cancelled based on the public health orders stated above.
Inspectors will not be calling from a 238 prefix, they will be calling from City issued mobile devices.
Inspectors will not inspect if the approved plans/documents are not on site or sites are not following appropriate CDC guidelines for COVID-19.
For more information about the Alameda County Public Health Order, please visit: http://www.acphd.org/media/563688/health-officer-order-20-04-shelter-in-place-20200331.pdf
We apologize for the any inconvenience that this may cause. The health of the public and our employees are of upmost importance.
Permit Inspector Hours
- Not Available due to Shelter in Place order, please consider emailing the permit inspector. INSPECTOR DIRECTORY
Not Available due to Shelter in Place order, please email: InspectionInfo@oaklandca.gov
Inspections are required to ensure that the construction is proceeding according to the approved plans and project conditions-of-approval, and that all current code standards are being met. This will help to ensure personal safety and to secure the value of the improvement.
It is your responsibility to schedule all inspections. An appointment must be made at least one working day in advance. Inspections are limited to three (3) inspections maximum per permit, per week. Inspectors have a maximum of 20 minutes per stop.
The City of Oakland cannot conduct same day inspections. These include disconnect-reconnect requests for Electrical Meter work.
A person over the age of 18 with knowledge of the project must be present for the inspection to take place.
Please have approved plans and documents (including job card) on site.
During the construction phase, inspections by City Inspectors are required prior to:
- Placing concrete or grout
- Covering electrical, plumbing, or mechanical work
- Covering floor framing
- Covering interior sides of wall framing
- Taping gypsum wallboard
- Applying stucco
- Shower Walls prior to tiling
- Exterior & Interior shear nailing
- Waterproof membrane at exterior balconies, stairs, etc.
- Roof plywood nailing
- Roof framing
- Fire protection
Inspections are also required prior to connecting to, or the hook-up of:
- Gas lines
- Electrical service and/or
- Water and sewer service
For more information, contact the Building Services Department at (510) 238-3444.
Permit Inspection Request
The City of Oakland provides several easy ways to schedule your inspections. However you end up scheduling, you will need to be prepared with the following information:
- Permit number(s)
- Property address
- Date(s) of inspection(s)
- Type(s) of inspection (shown on your Inspection Card)
- Your name and contact telephone (for the morning of the inspection)
- Your name and contact telephone/fax/e-mail (for sending schedule confirmation)
We will not be able to schedule your inspection if:
- You owe fees
- Your permit is expired or suspended
Please Note: You must contact other agencies directly to schedule their inspections:
- Public Works (CGS, X, SL permits): (510) 238-3651
- Fire Prevention Bureau: (510) 238-3462
If you are looking for information about residential window replacement or residential fire repair, please call the Permit Center at (510) 238-3891.