Effective May 1st, 2019 the Planning and Building Department will be implementing new customer service hours.
The Planning & Building Department is making changes to the Building Inspection scheduling procedures effective January 1, 2019.
Inspections are required to ensure that the construction is proceeding according to the approved plans and project conditions-of-approval, and that all current code standards are being met. This will help to ensure personal safety and to secure the value of the improvement.
It is your responsibility to schedule all inspections. An appointment must be made at least one working day in advance. During busy construction months, you may have to schedule several days in advance. Periodic inspections must be scheduled until the project is completed and the City gives final approval. After the job has received a final inspection, the building permit will be kept on file in the Building Services Department as proof of the work completed. During the construction phase, inspections by City Inspectors are required prior to:
- Placing concrete or grout;
- Covering electrical, plumbing, or mechanical work;
- Covering floor framing;
- Covering interior sides of wall framing;
- Taping gypsum wallboard;
- Applying stucco;
- Shower Walls prior to tiling;
- Exterior & Interior shear nailing;
- Waterproof membrane at exterior balconies, stairs etc;
- Roof plywood nailing;
- Roof framing;
- Fire protection
Inspections are also required prior to connecting to, or the hook-up of:
- Gas lines;
- Electrical service; and/or
- Water and sewer services.
For more information, contact the Building Services Department at (510) 238-3444.
Permit Inspection Request
The City of Oakland provides several easy ways to schedule your inspections. However you end up scheduling, you will need to be prepared with the following information:
- permit number(s)
- property address
- date(s) of inspection (s)
- type(s) of inspection (shown on your Inspection Card)
- your name and contact telephone (for the morning of the inspection)
- your name and contact telephone/fax/e-mail (for sending schedule confirmation)
We will not be able to schedule your inspection if:
- you owe fees
- your permit is expired or suspended
Please Note: You must contact other agencies directly to schedule their inspections:
- Public Works (CGS, X, SL permits) (510) 238-3651
- Fire Prevention Bureau (510) 238-3462
If you are looking for information about residential window replacement or residential fire repair, please call the Permit Center at 510.238.3891.