PERMIT INSPECTIONS RESPONSE TO COVID19 EMERGENCY:
As per County of Alameda Public Health Officer Public Health Orders, allowing for all construction projects that follow
the Construction Project Safety Protocols included with the Public Health order. The City of Oakland, Planning and Building Department, Bureau of Building, Permit Inspections Services will be conducting permit inspections as follows:
- Inspectors will screen the inspection in the morning and ask if inspection contact is familiar with Appendix B1 for Small Construction Projects or Appendix B2 for large construction projects. Permit Inspectors will not be calling from a 238 prefix, they will call from a City issued mobile device.
- If jobsite is not familiar with Appendix B, the inspector will either email or direct inspection contact to the website and ask that the contact reschedule once the protocols have been established at the jobsite.
- If the site has reviewed Appendix B, the permit inspector will then determine if the type of inspection can take place remotely via Microsoft Teams or require an on-site inspection.
- For remote inspections, the permit inspector will send the Microsoft Teams meeting to the inspection contact via email.
- For on-site inspections, the permit inspector will give the contact a time of arrival window. If at arrival to jobsite, the permit inspector determines that required protocols outlined in the Public Health order are not being followed, the permit inspector will note the issues and cancel the inspection.
- Any site that has a confirmed COVID-19 Positive case will need to email InspectionInfo@oaklandca.gov and provide:
A. Evidence that they have notified the County of Alameda of a positive COVID-19 case on-site.
B. Once the site has been cleaned the job site shall email email@example.com a copy of the JSAS report post positive case and evidence of cleaning of site prior to resuming inspections.
Inspectors may request JSAS reports at any time during their inspections. Any site with a positive case MUST provide a copy of their JSAS report once cleaning has been performed.
Please have approved plans and documents (including job card) on site. It is your responsibility to have your documents printed in FULL color at the job site prior to inspections.
To schedule an inspection please use the appropriate Building Inspection Request App for your mobile device:
To schedule by phone, please call 510-238-3444.
We can perform remote inspections using Microsoft Teams, Zoom, or Facetime. Remote Inspection must follow Alameda County Construction Safety Protocols.
Please visit this page for remote inspection information: https://www.oaklandca.gov/resources/remote-building-permit-inspections
During poor air quality events, all permit inspections will be conducted remotely.
For more information about the Alameda County Public Health Order or to obtain required COVID-19 job site documents, please visit:
For permit inspection questions, please email: InspectionInfo@oaklandca.gov.
Permit Inspector Hours
- Not Available due to Shelter in Place order, please consider emailing the permit inspector. INSPECTOR DIRECTORY
Not Available due to Shelter in Place order, please email: InspectionInfo@oaklandca.gov
Inspections are required to ensure that the construction is proceeding according to the approved plans and project conditions-of-approval, and that all current code standards are being met. This will help to ensure personal safety and to secure the value of the improvement.
It is your responsibility to schedule all inspections. An appointment must be made at least one working day in advance. Inspections are limited to three (3) inspections maximum per permit, per week. Inspectors have a maximum of 20 minutes per stop.
The City of Oakland cannot conduct same day inspections. These include disconnect-reconnect requests for Electrical Meter work.
A person over the age of 18 with knowledge of the project must be present for the inspection to take place.
Please have approved plans and documents (including job card) on site. It is permittee responsibility to have all approved documents printed in FULL color at the job site prior to inspections.
During the construction phase, inspections by City of Oakland Inspectors are required prior to:
- Placing concrete or grout
- Covering electrical, plumbing, or mechanical work
- Covering floor framing
- Covering interior sides of wall framing
- Taping gypsum wallboard
- Applying stucco
- Shower Walls prior to tiling
- Exterior & Interior shear nailing
- Waterproof membrane at exterior balconies, stairs, etc.
- Roof plywood nailing
- Roof framing
- Fire protection
Inspections are also required prior to connecting to, or the hook-up of:
For more information, contact the Building Services Department at (510) 238-3444.
Permit Inspection Request
The City of Oakland provides several easy ways to schedule your inspections. However you end up scheduling, you will need to be prepared with the following information:
- Permit number(s)
- Property address
- Date(s) of inspection(s)
- Type(s) of inspection (shown on your Inspection Card)
- Your name and contact telephone (for the morning of the inspection)
- Your name and contact telephone/fax/e-mail (for sending schedule confirmation)
We will not be able to schedule your inspection if:
- You owe fees
- Your permit is expired or suspended
Please Note: You must contact other agencies directly to schedule their inspections:
- Public Works (CGS, X, SL permits): (510) 238-3651
- Fire Prevention Bureau: (510) 238-3462