- Planning & Building inspections (issued permits ONLY): 510-238-3444
- Fire Prevention Bureau inspections: FPBReceptionist@oaklandca.gov
- Department of Transportation inspections: 510-238-3561
It is your responsibility to schedule all inspections and ensure your project stays up-to-date with all the latest regulations.
READ the latest Planning & Building and Alameda County Shelter-in-Place compliance requirements and procedures.
The Building Bureau will inspect your permitted project for compliance with approved plans and applicable building, mechanical, electrical, and plumbing codes. Inspections are required to ensure that the construction is proceeding according to the approved plans and project conditions-of-approval, and that all current code standards are being met.
Inspections are required to ensure that construction is proceeding according to the approved plans and project conditions-of-approval, and that all current code standards are being met. This will help to ensure personal safety and to secure the value of the improvement.
It is your responsibility to schedule all inspections. An appointment must be made at least one working day in advance. Inspections are limited to three (3) inspections maximum per permit, per week. Inspectors have 20 minutes of inspection per stop.
The City of Oakland cannot conduct same-day inspections. These include disconnect-reconnect requests for Electrical Meter work.
A person over the age of 18 with knowledge of the project must be present for the inspection to take place.
Please have approved plans and documents (including job card) on site. It is your responsibility to have your documents printed in FULL color at the job site prior to inspections.
During construction you must complete your City inspections before you can do any of the following:
- Placing concrete or grout
- Covering electrical, plumbing or mechanical work
- Covering floor framing
- Covering interior sides of wall framing
- Taping gypsum wallboard
- Applying stucco
- Installing insulation
- Building shower walls prior to tiling
- Exterior & Interior shear nailing
- Installing waterproof membrane at exterior balconies, stairs, etc.
- Roof plywood nailing
- Roof framing
- Creating shafts
- Installing fire protection
Inspections are also required prior to connecting to, or the hook-up of: