Requirements for Inspection Electric and Gas Utilities

Requirements for Inspection of Electric and Gas Utilities

Visit Online
Discover building and renovation services for Residences
Visit Online
Discover building and renovation services for Commercial Properties
Visit Online
PG&E Electric and Gas Service Requirements
Date Posted: March 14th, 2019 @ 10:56 AM
Last Updated: June 1st, 2021 @ 2:25 PM

Electric and Gas Utility Releases in the City of Oakland

1- Apply for and obtain City of Oakland permit for your Electrical or Gas Service.

2- Contact PGE to obtain Confirmation of Discussion (COD). Permit Inspections cannot inspect Electrical Meters, if PGE COD is not on-site. PGE COD is not required for Gas Utility Release.

3- Schedule your Inspections

4- If your inspection passes the City of Oakland will place a Green Tag on the Electrical Panel (no tag needed for Gas Service) and will release the meter to PGE by next day at Noon.

5- Call PGE to have your utility connected by them.

If your project has or will have an Accessory Dwelling Unit (ADU), please refer to this joint City of Oakland and PG&E Code Bulletin: Joint Bulletin for ADU Utility Meters

If installing, modifying, or removing an Electrical or Gas Service you must contact PG&E and follow their requirements to obtain service. Please note that you must contact PG&E to obtain a Confirmation of Discussion (COD) for electrical meter inspection in the City of Oakland.