A TCO is typically valid for up to 60 days, At the end of the TCO term an inspection will be required, before a subsequent TCO can be issued. If the project has not received final approval and a new TCO has not been issued at the end of the TCO term the utilities to the building may be disconnected.
A TCO can be issued for the entire building or portions of a building
A TCO or multiple TCOs may be issued for specific portions of a building
Specific conditions may be attached to a TCO
Each TCO requires separate fees
A utility disconnect letter is required for TCO issuance
Impact fees must be paid
Site Requirements for a TCO
All life safety items for the building or portion of a building must be functional including:
- Fire sprinklers and Alarms
- Required means of egress including exit signage
- Fire rated construction elements: walls, floors, corridors, stairs, shafts, etc.
- Temporary elements may be required, stairs, separation walls, etc.
- Minimum Accessibility as required by Chapter 11 of the building code
- Areas where work is still taking place must be effectively separated from areas being occupied or open to the public, including parking areas or outdoor spaces.
- All dwelling units must meet minimum habitability requirements, heat, light and ventilation etc.
The TCO application requires approval from all applicable departments, the applicable departments will vary from one building or portion to another, but may include:
- Engineering Services
- Fire Prevention
- Public Works
- Department of Transportation
- Health Department
The Building Inspector will coordinate the issuance of the TCO and address specific issues that pertain to the spacer spaces in question, this is typically done 30 days or less prior when the TCO will be required.
Coordination with PG&E is essential, typically electrical connection must have made prior to a TCO being issued. City policy is NOT to release both Gas and Electric meters until the project is virtually complete.
A Supervisor or your Building inspector must initial the TCO application form prior to paying fees.