For Immediate Release: April 19, 2023
Public Safety Advisory: Armed Robberies and Carjackings
The Oakland Police Department (OPD) has received an increased number of reports of armed robberies and carjackings occurring citywide.
We are issuing this safety advisory to inform you of this alarming shift. We recommend our community members take precautions to keep themselves and their property safe.
The crimes are happening across Oakland at various hours. In some recent cases, armed individuals intentionally collide their vehicles with the vehicles of unexpected victims in hopes of getting the victim to stop. In other incidents, the armed individuals block the victim's vehicle to prevent them from leaving. The armed individuals then rob the victims of their personal property. In some cases, the victims have also been carjacked.
The Department is closely tracking this current trend, including descriptions of those responsible and their vehicles. If you are a victim or have information regarding those who may be responsible for these violent crimes, please call 510-238-3326.
Reduce Your Risk:
The Department urges all residents to be vigilant and aware of their surroundings while driving and to report any suspicious activity immediately. In addition, the Department recommends the following safety tips:
- Always keep your vehicle's doors locked and windows rolled up when driving, especially in high-risk areas.
- If you are involved in a vehicle collision and believe you are in danger, call the police immediately.
- If you are being followed or believe you are in danger, drive to the police station, or a well-lit and populated area and call the police.
- Do not be distracted by electronic devices.
- Be discreet with your property; this includes purses, phones, jewelry, and other valuables.