The E. 15th St and Foothill Blvd corridor is home to Franklin Elementary School and Recreation Center, one of the largest schools in OUSD, as well as a dense community of homes and churches. Additionally, AC Transit buses frequently run on this corridor. Portions of E. 15th are High Injury Corridors (the 2% of Oakland's streets with 36% of pedestrian injuries), meaning they are prioritized for safety improvements. Currently, some safety issues along these streets include:
- Low-visibility, fading crosswalks
- No safe place to bike
- Two lanes of single-direction, high-speed traffic with poor visibility at intersections.
- Crashes most likely due to speeding, stop sign, and signal violations.
OakDOT aims to enhance this street to create a delightful, safe place for the community to enjoy. In order to meet this goal, several improvements have been proposed:
- Reducing traffic lanes to one in each direction to better accommodate the low number of vehicles on the corridor at calmer, slower speeds
- Adding high visibility crosswalks to increase yielding to people walking
- Adding bicycle lanes in each direction to create a safe place for people to bike
- Evaluating intersections for stop signs
- Moving bus stops to safer and more convenient locations
- Expanding school loading zones to accommodate families dropping off and picking up children
These improvements are planned to be installed in 2018/2019.
For more information on project materials, click here.
Past Community Meetings:
Bella Vista NCPC 1/10/2018
Greater San Antonio NCPC 3/14/2018
Upcoming Community Meetings:
For more information, contact:
Nicole Ferrara, Project Manager firstname.lastname@example.org 510-238-4720
Oakland, CA 94606