The Oakland Police Department (OPD) is seeing a recent uptick in robberies of individuals at ATMs citywide.
In several recent cases, the victim was using the ATM when they were approached by an armed individual(s) and robbed of their belongings. The armed individual(s) were seen leaving the area either on foot or by vehicle.
In other cases, the victim is followed home or to another location after using the ATM and then robbed of their belongings.
OPD is actively investigating each of these robberies. If you are a victim or have information regarding any of these incidents, please call 510-238-3326.
REDUCE YOUR RISK:
- Always scan the area and watch for suspicious people or activity around an ATM.
- When possible, use ATMs located inside the bank.
- Following your withdrawal, put your cash away immediately.
- When leaving an ATM location, make sure you are not being followed. If you are being followed, drive to a safe place, including the police department or fire station, and call 911.
- Call the OPD non-emergency number, 777-3333, to report suspicious persons.
OPD Commanders have begun deploying additional officers to areas of the city that have experienced an increase in armed robberies.
Working together, we can reduce violence in Oakland.