Statewide Residential Eviction Moratorium Ends – No Change for Oakland

Date Posted: September 30th, 2021 @ 4:57 PM
Last Updated: October 1st, 2021 @ 4:11 PM
Policy papers with pens

Oakland, CA – Today, September 30, the State of California’s Rent Eviction Moratorium ends. This end date has no impact on the City of Oakland. Oakland’s moratorium on evictions and rent increases will continue until the Local Emergency is terminated by Oakland City Council.

Got Rent Problems?
Tenants and property owners in need of financial assistance for past due rent may be eligible for the Emergency Rent Assistance Program. Oakland residents in need of help paying rent and property owners whose tenants have refused to apply for rental assistance are encouraged to apply for emergency rental assistance (see below).

Emergency Rental Assistance Program (ERAP):
Since the fall of 2020, Oakland has run and expanded its emergency rental assistance programs in the wake of the Covid-19 pandemic. These programs have been successfully administered by the City via Keep Oakland Housed (KOH), a collaboration of four non-profit partners – Bay Area Community Services (BACS), Catholic Charities East Bay, Centro Legal de la Raza, and the Eviction Defense Center, Safe Passages. In July, the City added five new community partners – East Bay Asian Local Development Corporation (EBALDC), Building Opportunities for Self-Sufficiency (BOSS), Housing and Economics Rights Advocates (HERA), and East Oakland Community Development Corp. (EODC) – bringing the total number of partners to nine, to address expanded need and capacity.


Application assistance and translation services are available.

Effects of the Governor’s Eviction Moratorium ending include:

  • Rental property owners may be eligible for 100% rent debt relief accrued after April 1, 2020. Any owner who already received assistance at the 80% rate may get the remaining 20% from the state’s program. Makes tenants, whose landlord does not apply on their own, eligible for 100% of their rent owed since April 2020.
  • Property owners may receive 100% even for tenants who have moved out.
  • After Sept 30, owners must seek rental assistance from a designated program and give eligible tenants the opportunity to seek assistance before eviction (see above).

Oakland Commercial Eviction Moratorium will end:

The Oakland City Ordinances on the local commercial eviction moratorium conformed with the Governor’s most recent Executive Order, expiring today, September 30, 2021. The protections that prevent commercial evictions of small businesses and non-profit organizations for nonpayment of rent will end on September 30th . Back rent may be due in full depending on the payment plan or other agreement negotiated between the tenant and landlord. Find available resources at:

# # #

Media Contact

L. Autumn King
Public Information Officer,
Office of the City Administrator

Download Press Release