Our onsite Permit Center counters are currently closed. The City will continue to process applications across all categories of projects for permit approval consistent with the City’s development regulations. Please read the following information to understand our current procedures and protocols.
ONLINE PERMITTING OPERATIONS
Apply via Online Permit Center:
Registered and activated users of our Online Permit Center may now apply online for a total of 12 Building Permit types, including:
- Solar Electric Panels
- Residential Building Combination (1-2 units only), Kitchen Remodel and/or Bathroom Remodel and/or Window Replacement; will also include any related Mechanical, Electrical, Plumbing work
- Residential Building Alteration (3-5 units), including Kitchen Remodel and/or Bathroom Remodel and/or Window Replacement; separate permits required for related Mechanical, Electrical, Plumbing work
- Non-Residential Building Alteration (6 units and above or commercial), including Kitchen Remodel and/or Bathroom Remodel and/or Window Replacement; separate permits required for related Mechanical, Electrical, Plumbing work
- Non Residential Mechanical Alteration
- Non Residential Plumbing Alteration
- Non Residential Electrical Alteration
- Reroofing Certificate
- Insulation Certificate
- Residential - Plumbing
- Residential - Mechanical
- Residential – Electrical
Need some personalized guidance? We've added a new Permit Questions Portal with answers to some of the most common questions concerning permits and the application process. For the selected permits listed above, we also offer an online Permit Wizard to walk you through the process of scoping your project and directing you to all the applications and forms you'll need.
Apply by E-mail or Digital Inbox:
To submit your application through our online Digital Inbox, please read our Electronic Submission Guidelines and Digital Inbox Instruction Guide.
Please note that our email@example.com account and our Digital Inbox (for larger application submissions with files totaling more than 20MB) are monitored Monday-Friday, 8am to 4pm. The firstname.lastname@example.org account receives hundreds of emails daily. Due to the impacts of COVID-19 on City services, we are experiencing a severe backlog. We are aware of the importance of your requests; please know that our team is working diligently to screen and properly route all emails received.
Since the onsite Permit Center is currently closed, things are working a little differently than when applications were submitted in person over the counter. Electronic requests, which are now our means of receiving information, are reviewed for processing and issuance during normal business hours, Monday – Friday 8am – 4pm. As an example, if you submit an application after 4pm, it will be screened for processing the next day in the order it was received.
Please wait 48 hours for our response. Please do not submit the same request multiple times as this can cause duplicate records, ultimately slowing down the process and our ability to respond accurately.
NO EXPEDITED REQUESTS: During this unprecedented time, we are not accepting expedited requests.
Due to the volume of plan submittals under our automated system, we can no longer accept submittals via fax. Please be advised:
- We do provide several alternatives (see email@example.com; Digital Inbox [for applications over 20MB]; and our Online Permit Center for selected permits) that will allow you to submit your applications, questions, and supplemental information where they may be reliably tracked and processed. The use of these options is explained more fully in the "Applications" paragraphs above.
- Please do not send any planning or building applications, revisions to applications, or any other information pertaining to building permits that have been issued or are in progress by fax.
- Staff is not monitoring information submitted by fax, and so we ask that you use the methods described on this page (firstname.lastname@example.org; Digital Inbox [for applications over 20MB]; and our Online Permit Center for selected permits) to submit your documents.
Projected Response and Service Times:
We understand this unprecedented time has been challenging for many of our customers. It is our ultimate intention to return to the response times established prior to the Alameda County Shelter-In-Place Orders going into effect, as they are updated.
IMPORTANT NOTE: In order to assist in getting your application started AND moving, please note that your application is considered to be completely submitted for processing ONLY after application materials are received and all application fees have been paid.
Average Processing Timelines:
Please note that each of the following durations from permit application submittal to permit issuance presumes complete information in the permit application.
- Planning & Zoning review of projects NOT requiring public notices or Planning Commission review take up to 2 weeks
- Appointments for initial Planning/Zoning Intake review are scheduled up to 6 weeks out from the date of submittal
- After complete application submittal, project will be assigned to a planner. Then, the review process will take at least 30 days or more, depending on the complexity of the project
- Permits review without plan requirements takes up to 3 weeks
- Permits review requiring Plan Check review takes up to 4 weeks
- Additional time is required to review by plan checker; takes up to 4 weeks to receive comments
- Additional time for Final Plan Check (after Plan Check review is approved) takes up to 6 weeks
- Additional time to issue permit takes up to 3 days with proper documentation and all fees paid
- Mechanical, Electrical or Plumbing (MEP) permits take up to 4 days for permit issuance
How to Obtain Status on Your Submittals:
Via Online Permit Center:
- Watch our Check Your Permit Status Online video for instructions on how to find the latest status of your permit application through our Online Permit Center (for selected permit types only)
- Please write your subject line in the following format to enable a faster response:
- “Status Request for Planning or Building (address of property and permit number if you have one)”
- If you are submitting a revision to your plans, please write the following in your subject line to enable a faster response:
- “Revisions for Planning or Building (address of property and permit number)"
Status requests are also placed into a queue for clerical staff to respond. The goal is to respond within 48 hours; however, there may be a delay for status request updates as we prioritize routing submissions for processing.