There is a High Wind Watch and a Red Flag Warning for the East Bay hills starting Sunday, October 25 at 4pm.

Rent Adjustment Program

Amendments to Tenant Protection Ordinance

On July 21, 2020 Oakland City Council adopted amendments to the Tenant Protection Ordinance. Among other elements, the ordinance limits the overall maximum rent increase consistent with recent state law, limits late fees, prohibits unilateral changes to the terms of tenancy, allows one for one replacement of roommates, provides a 5% rent increase for new roommates, and strengthens the enforcement of tenant protections.

Learn more »

The Oakland City Council adopted the Rent Adjustment Program (RAP) Ordinance (OMC Chapter 8.22) in 1980. This ordinance sets the maximum annual rent increase based on the annual CPI increase, handles rent adjustments for claims of decreases in housing services and handles other rent related matters. The purpose of this program is to foster fair housing for a diverse population of renters and enforce the Rent Adjustment Ordinance set out by the City of Oakland.


Rent Adjustment Phone Hours:

MONDAY-THURSDAY 9:30 am to 4:30 pm

(Calls are generally limited to 10 minutes)

Rent Adjustment Drop In Service Hours:

(Drop in hours located on 6th Floor in the Housing Resource Center, Suite 6301)

MON THROUGH THURS: 9:30 am to 4:30 pm


(Visits are generally limited to 10 minutes)


250 Frank H. Ogawa Plaza, Suite 5313

Oakland, CA 94612

Phone Number:

(510) 238-3721

Fax Number:

(510) 238-6181