HOW MUCH DOES IT COST TO PARK AT A METER IN OAKLAND?
Most meters cost $2 per hour, but rates range from $1 per hour up to $4 per hour. All meters take coins and credit or debit cards. You can also pay-by-phone using the Parkmobile app at most meters.
WHEN DO I HAVE TO PAY TO PARK AT A METER?
Meter hours in most of the City of Oakland are Monday through Saturday from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. Around Lake Merritt, pay-by-plate meter hours are Monday through Saturday, 8AM to 8PM and Sundays Noon to 8PM.
PARKING IS FREE ON THE FOLLOWING HOLIDAYS:
- New Year’s Day - January 1
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Birthday - Third Monday of January
- President’s Day - Third Monday of February
- Memorial Day - Last Monday of May
- Juneteenth Day - June 19*
- Independence Day - July 4
- Labor Day - First Monday of September
- Thanksgiving Day - Fourth Thursday of November
- Christmas Day - December 25
If the holidays falls on a Sunday, the following Monday is a parking holiday.
* Staff are planning to bring an ordinance to City Council to formally make this an official meter holiday. Consistent with this plan, meters will not be enforced on Monday, June 19th, 2023.
TYPES OF METERS
Smart Parking Meters
|Multi-Space Parking Kiosks
The City of Oakland has converted all 3,800 existing single-space parking meters across Oakland to state-of-the-art Smart Parking Meters. The Smart Parking Meters allow motorists to pay for parking using coins, credit/debit cards or their cell phones.
To setup an account and download the Parkmobile pay-by-phone mobile app, visit https://parkmobile.io/. Accounts may also be setup by calling (877) 727-5718. Please note the vendor does charge a 25¢ convenience fee per transaction. Motorists who use this app can add additional minutes to their meter directly from their phones and opt-in to receive a notification 15 minutes prior to meter expiration.
Parking kiosks accept payment by coin or credit/debit card. At pay-and-display stations, place the receipt on your dashboard so the date and time are visible. At pay-by-plate stations, enter your license plate when paying.
All multi-space meter zones also accept pay-by-phone via Parkmobile. See additional information to the left.