Homebuyer Education Workshops provide an overview of the home-buying process. You can view the dates available and self enroll by visiting the link above. The City's workshop is not HUD approved and is not offered at this time.
Workshop topics include:
- advantages and disadvantages of renting vs. owning
- establishing good credit
- basic budgeting and money management
- deciding how much you can afford
- roles of professionals in the home buying process
- down payment, closing costs and mortgage insurance requirements
- applying for a home loan
- closing and escrow
- responsibilities of being a homeowner
- additional resources for low- and moderate-income homebuyers
Several local organizations provide counseling to individuals and families looking to purchase a home in Oakland and the Bay Area, for assistance preparing to rent a home, or for individuals and families who may have received a notice of default or a foreclosure notice.
You can locate them using the links above or by vising our page Homebuyer Counseling and Education Providers.
For questions regarding the City of Oakland Homebuyer programs please call (510) 238-6201.
Return to the SERVICES FOR HOMEBUYERS page.