This website is a work in progress. If you'd like to give website feedback you can fill out our public survey here.
Attend a City of Oakland Homebuyer WorkshopRegister Online
Contact HUD(800) 569-4287
Visit the Consumer Financial Protection BureauFind a Housing Counselor
The City of Oakland offers a 5-hour monthly Homebuyer Education Workshop to provide an overview of the home-buying process. Topics include:
- advantages and disadvantages of renting vs. owning
- establishing good credit
- basic budgeting and money management
- deciding how much you can afford
- roles of professionals in the home buying process
- down payment, closing costs and mortgage insurance requirements
- applying for a home loan
- closing and escrow
- responsibilities of being a homeowner
- additional resources for low- and moderate-income homebuyers
Several local organizations provide counseling to individuals and families looking to purchase a home in Oakland and the Bay Area, or for individuals and families who may have received a notice of default or a foreclosure notice. For questions regarding the City of Oakland Homebuyer programs call 510-238-7486.