Oakland is experiencing a network outage that is affecting key services. Several non-emergency systems within the City of Oakland are currently impacted or offline. Thank you for your patience while we work to restore services.

Apply for Commercial Tenant Improvements Permit

A Building Permit is required for all tenant (interior) improvements on commercial properties or units, and Design Review (DS-1 or DR) may be required.

Before you Start

Please review the Permit Requirements below as these vary from project to project.

Ready to get started? First, make sure you are registered and activated at our Online Permit Center. For instructions, please visit our Planning & Building Video Tutorials webpage.

What to Do

Permit Requirements

How to Apply

  1. Step One: Design Review (As Applicable)

    Many tenant improvements do not require Design Review. Complete this step as applicable

    • Submit a Zoning Worksheet (ZW) through our Online Permit Center*
      * NOTE: You will be taken to our login page first before you can submit a ZW
    • In the Worksheet, upload your completed Basic Application for Development Review, Design Review Findings, Building Permit Application and all associated plans and documents. Refer to the "Related Resources" section for forms that may apply to your project
    • A planner will review your submission
    • Please note that public notice of your project will be required
    • Once approved, you will receive a decision letter from the Bureau of Planning
  2. Step Two: Building Permits

    If your project requires Design Review:

    If your project does not require Design Review:

  3. Step Three: Application Review

    Once we receive your application, staff will contact you regarding your intake appointment during which your submittal will be reviewed for completeness. It is recommended that you are available for questions during that appointment, but not required. For the latest processing estimates, please see our Average Permit Processing Turnaround Times webpage.

Need to Know


Call (510) 238-3891 or find quick answers through our Permit & Services Questions Portal.


Was this page helpful?

Report a problem with this page