An Abandoned Vehicle Parked on Private Property or a Private Street?
This is a vehicle abatement issue. Please provide OPD with the location, description and license plate (if known).
- Call - Vehicle Abatement Detail at (510) 777-8538 and leave a voicemail message; or
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Click here for more information about vehicle abatement
- If a vehicle is blocking your driveway and you can’t get out, call Parking Enforcement dispatch during business hours at (510) 238-3099 or after hours Police Non-emergency at (510) 777-3333. A technician or officer will be dispatched to cite and to tow the vehicle as appropriate. Once the vehicle is cited, residents or property managers can call a tow truck to have the vehicle removed.
- If a car is parked in your parking stall, talk to your apartment manager or property manager. Oakland Police will not tow in this case.
Commercial Vehicle Enforcement
- Extra-Legal Load Permits - Extra-legal load permits shall be obtained from an authorized permit company. Click here for a list of authorized permit companies. The OPD's commercial vehicle enforcement unit (CVEU) does not directly issue extra-legal load permits. City/Port heavy container permits are not issued by these companies.
- City/Port of Oakland Heavy Container Permits - Joint City/Port of Oakland Heavy Container Program permits are issued by the CVEU. For information on this program, use this Port of Oakland link: comprehensive truck management program resources.
- Contact - Please leave a message with any questions at 510-777-8615 and your call will normally be returned in 2-3 business days (not including weekends/holidays).
The OPD Vehicle Abatement Unit works to improve Oakland’s neighborhoods and enhance Oakland’s physical assets by addressing the problems of abandoned vehicles on public and private property and aggressively pursuing parking citation scofflaws. Visit the City of Oakland Parking Page here.