Oakland is experiencing a network outage that is affecting key services. Several non-emergency systems within the City of Oakland are currently impacted or offline. Thank you for your patience while we work to restore services.

ShotSpotter Activations lead to Arrests and Gun Recoveries

Date Posted: May 4th, 2022 @ 5:00 PM
Last Updated: May 6th, 2022 @ 11:03 AM


May 4, 2022

ShotSpotter Activations lead to Arrests and Gun Recoveries

ShotSpotter activations coupled with intel-led policing by the Oakland Police Department (OPD), lead to the arrests of six people and a dozen firearm recoveries in less than a week.

The first incident happened on April 18, 2022, shortly after 3:30 p.m., officers in the 6200 block of Foothill Boulevard, saw a vehicle matching the description of a vehicle used in an armed robbery. Officers attempted to stop the vehicle, but it drove away. Shortly after, officers located the vehicle in the 2000 block of Rutherford Street and saw two occupants exit and run into the rear yard of a residence. Officers later located the two individuals, and safely took them into custody. Two loaded firearms were among the evidence recovered from the scene.

On April 21, 2022, shortly after 6:30 a.m., officers responded to the 1600 block of Auseon Avenue for multiple ShotSpotter activations. Arriving officers received tips from residents that the shooters left the area in a vehicle. Officers learned that vehicle was reported stolen during a recent armed carjacking and crashed nearby. Officers saw two individuals running away from the collision and took them into custody. Officers also located a firearm. As officers continued their investigation at the original scene on Auseon Avenue, additional firearms, ammunition, and narcotics were recovered from a residence.

On April 23, 2022, shortly before 2:00 a.m., when OPD officers responded to the 1200 block of 45th Avenue for multiple ShotSpotter activations. Upon arrival, officers located evidence of a shooting and saw an individual running inside a business. Officers quickly established a perimeter. After a lengthy standoff, an individual finally surrendered and was safely taken into custody. An AR-15 style rifle was recovered from the scene.