For Immediate Release October 21, 2022
Public Safety Advisory: Power Tools
The Oakland Police Department (OPD) is seeing an uptick in robberies, thefts, and burglaries of power tools citywide. The crimes tend to occur between 9:00 AM and 2:00 PM.
Many of the recent incidents happened in the Oakland Hills when two to four armed individuals confront the victim, take their property, and leave the area in an awaiting vehicle.
The Department is closely tracking this current trend, including descriptions of those responsible and their vehicles. If you are a victim or have information regarding those who may be responsible for these violent crimes, please call 510-238-3426.
We are issuing this safety advisory to inform you of this alarming trend.
REDUCE YOUR RISK:
- Be aware of your surroundings at all times
- Be particularly aware when unloading tools from your work truck
- Always lock all doors and windows when leaving your work truck
Track Your Tools:
- Engrave your name or company’s name with your phone number on your tools.
- Remove the batteries from your tools. It is much harder to sell a power tool missing the battery and charger.
- If left in an open area, lock your tools up with harden-steel security chains and high-quality padlocks. These chains and locks can take a long time for a thief to cut through.
- Add GPS trackers to your tools
- Never leave tools in the backseat of your car or the bed of a truck in plain view.
- OPD Commanders are deploying more officers in the parts of Oakland where the increase in armed robberies is occurring.
Working together, we can reduce violence in Oakland.