For Immediate Release:
The Oakland Police Department has seen an 18% decrease in robberies across the city this year. However, over the last three weeks, we’ve seen a recent surge in robberies citywide. Our investigations show Sunday appears to be the peak day for this criminal activity.
Our investigators have identified several trends where multiple suspects target individuals walking to and from their vehicles or homes. The victim is assaulted as their personal property is taken from their possession. Sometimes the victim is knocked to the ground, punched, kicked, and pistol-whipped. In some cases, the victim was inside their vehicle or in front of their home when they were robbed.
REDUCE YOUR RISK:
- Beware of your surroundings.
- Don’t be distracted by your electronic devices.
- Be especially alert when entering and exiting your vehicle.
- Remember to lock your car door after entering your vehicle.
- Don’t carry all your credit cards and cash in your purse or wallet.
#OPDCARES initiative is about working together as a community to help stop the tragic loss of life and reduce the level of violence in our city. Collectively, we want to ensure Oaklanders and our visitors are safe in our community.