Apply for a Demolition Permit

Building Permits are required when more than half of the exterior walls are to be demolished, whether residential, commercial, or industrial. Please review the permit application requirements below, as they vary by the scope and extent of your project.

Posted: July 22nd, 2022 9:03 AM

Last Updated: October 12th, 2022 11:39 AM

Before You Start

Please review the Permit Requirements below as these vary from project to project.

Ready to get started? First, make sure you are registered and activated at our Online Permit Center.
For instructions, please visit our Planning & Building Video Tutorials webpage.

When is a Permit Required?

Construction worker sledge hammering wall

Permits for demolition are required when MORE than half of the exterior walls of a building are to be demolished, and must be obtained before any demolition work may begin.

If you are building a new structure, adding to an existing structure, or conducting repairs or renovations, you must also apply for permits for the entire project. To see a list of common project types linking to further application guidance, see our "Get Started on Your Project" permitting directory.

Please note that different application requirements and processes apply to the following:

  • Soft Demolition (Interior Non-Structural)
  • <= 50% Exterior Wall Demolition
  • > 50% Exterior Wall Demolition

See the "How to Apply" section below for full details and procedures.

Who Can Be Issued a Permit?

  1. Contractors who are licensed by the State of California with a classification appropriate for the work that will be performed and have a current Business Tax Certificate.
  2. Owners of a building or their legal representative.

How to Apply

Need to Know