When planning a trip, check to see if you and your destination are close to an AC Transit bus stop, BART station, or the SF Bay Ferry. Get a refillable Clipper Card to make your trip as easy as possible.
Another option is the Free Broadway Shuttle, which offers fast connections from BART, San Francisco Bay Ferry, Amtrak, Amtrak San Joaquins and Capitol Corridor to downtown Oakland offices, restaurants, local shops, social services and entertainment venues.
Between November 26th and December 31st, AC Transit also offers a free ride holiday bus on select routes.
Biking & Bike Share
Biking in Oakland is a fun and healthy way to get to your destination. There are bike racks and corrals all throughout the City. You can also use the new regional bikeshare system, Ford GoBike, which has more than 80 stations in Oakland.
Let's face it - owning a car is expensive. With car share, you pay only for the time you use. There are multiple service providers in Oakland: Gig Car Share, Getaround, Turo, and Zipcar. Visit their websites to learn more.
Get $30 off your first Gig ride with the code "30FORYOU".
On-street parking is available for free every Sunday. Time limits still apply. Please see here for City-owned parking garages and lots.
Free Off-Street Parking Dates & Details
On Friday, November 23; Saturday, November 24; Saturday, December 1; Saturday, December 8; Saturday, December 15; Saturday, December 22 and Saturday, December 29, the City of Oakland is offering free parking at four City-owned garages and five City-owned parking lots for the time-period posted on the meter, kiosk, or sign (30 minutes, 1 hour, 2 hours, 4 hours or 5 hours).
Participating City-Owned Garages -- The holiday parking program will also offer free parking on the designated Saturdays and Plaid Friday at the following City-owned garages:
- Franklin Plaza Garage at 19th & Franklin streets
- Montclair Garage at 6235 LaSalle Avenue
- Dalziel Garage at 16th Street between San Pablo Avenue & Clay Street
- Lakeshore Avenue Garage on Wesley Way between Trestle Glen Road and Lake Park Avenue (free year-round, time limited)
Participating City-Owned Lots -- The free holiday parking applies to the following City-owned lots on designated Saturdays and Plaid Friday:
- Grand Avenue Lot in the 3200 block of Grand Avenue
- LakePark Lot under I-580 between Grand and Lakeshore avenues
- Piedmont Avenue Lot on Howe Street between 40th and 41st streets
- Parkway Lot on Wayne Avenue near Park Boulevard and E. 18th Street
- Dimond Lot on Bienati Way between Dimond Avenue and Fruitvale Avenue (free year-round, time limited)
Motorists should note and follow the maximum time limits posted; standard parking rules and time limits will be enforced.