For pedalboat, canoe, rowboat, and kayak rentals, no certification is required. To sail on Lake Merritt, you will need to provide sailing certifications, pass a sailing test, or take a class with us.
Boat Rentals require a CASH ONLY deposit of $20-$30 per group plus the first hour's cash rental fee.
|Boat||Resident Rate||Non-Resident Rate||Cash Deposit||Total People|
(single or double)
|$15/hour (single) |
|$18/hour (single) |
|$20||1 or 2|
You can rent boats daily March-October and on weekends only November-February.
|Boat Rental Hours||Monday - Friday||Saturday - Sunday|
|Summer (July-August 11)||10 am-6 pm*||10:30 am-6 pm*|
|Winter (November-February)||Closed||10:30 am-4 pm*|
|Spring & Fall (March-June|
& Aug 12-October)
|11 am-5 pm*||10:30 am-5 pm*|
* Time indicates when the last rental leaves the dock. Sailboats rented to experienced sailors only & must be rented 1/2 hour before the last rental time and returned to the dock 1/2 hour before closing. Customers are expected to rig, de-rig, and fold sails.
You can launch your own boat during boat rental hours. The fee is $5 ($6 for non-residents) and you are required to WEAR a US Coast Guard approved lifejacket- yours or one of ours.
Management reserves the right to refuse service to anyone. Rain or winds over 10 mph result in closures and/or additional deposits.
Parking inside Lakeside Park on Bellevue Avenue is $2.00 for two hours (or $10 for all day parking) during weekdays and $5 all day parking on the weekend and holidays. Buses are $15 per vehicle daily parking. Special Event parking after 5pm is $10 per vehicle. The parking operating hours are from 7:30am until dusk.
Boat Rental Rules
- Each person is required to wear a life jacket. Jacket must be worn fully zipped and/or buckled at all times on the water.
- Wait for Dock Attendant to assist you in loading and unloading of boats.
- No standing in boats.
- Whistles are for emergencies only and must be returned for deposit.
- Keep boats 50 feet from shore. Do not beach boats in any location.
- Dock only at the Boating Center. (Passengers may be taken on only at the rental dock)
- Do not enter Bird Sanctuary, Estuary Channel, or Fountains.
- Alcohol, Smoking, and Pets are not permitted. (Service animal permitted. Life jacket recommended for service animal)
- Rentals may be closed at any time at the discretion of employee in charge.
- Management reserves the right to refuse service to anyone and is not responsible for damage to or loss of personal property.
- Deposits will be withheld for breaking any of the rental rules, damage to boats, capsize rescue, entering bird sanctuary or channel, and unsafe or abusive behavior.
- Deposits refunded only on same day as boat is rented.
Patron acknowledges and assumes the risk inherent in boating, agrees to indemnify and hold harmless the City of Oakland against any claim arising out of this rental, except for the concurrent or sole negligence of City employees or agents.