You can launch your own non-motorized boat on Lake Merritt during regular rental hours (Boat Rental Hours) for a $5/boat launch fee ($6 if you are not an Oakland resident). We provide USCG approved life jackets for you to use or you can bring your own. Lifejackets must be worn while boating on Lake Merritt and all lake rules must be followed.
Lake Merritt Boating Center Rules
1. Each person is required to have a life vest and they must be worn as directed by lake staff.
2. Wait for Dock Attendant to assist you in loading and unloading of boats.
3. Do not stand up in boats.
4. Keep boats 50 feet from shore. Do not beach boats.
5. Passengers may be taken on only at the rental dock.
6. Do not enter Bird Sanctuary or fountains.
7. Alcohol, smoking or pets are not permitted on boats.
8. Rentals may be closed at any time at the discretion of employee in charge.
9. Management reserves the right to refuse service to anyone and is not responsible for damage to or loss of
10. Deposits will be withheld for any damage to boats, capsize rescue, entering bird sanctuary, breaking any
rental rules, unsafe or abusive behavior. Deposits refunded only on same day boat is rented.