Building Permits are required to construct a new deck, expand an existing one, or repair or replace one in-kind. For new decks, Planning Review is required. For decks over 30" in height from the ground to the platform or 6' from the ground to the top of the railing, Zoning regulations must be adhered to.
Decks that meet ALL of the following criteria are exempt from a Building Permit:
- Serve a house or a duplex
- Are 200 sq ft or less in overall footprint
- Are not more than 30" above the ground at any point
- Are not attached to the dwelling
- Do not serve a required exit door
- Do not serve as a door landing
All decks are still subject to Zoning Review.