Permits are required in the City of Oakland either to operate a business or perform construction on buildings or structures. The permitting process will vary based on your project. For detailed information on the permitting process, please visit the Planning & Building Permits webpage.
Please note that each of the following durations from permit application submittal to permit issuance presumes complete information in the permit application.
Planning / Zoning:
- Planning & Zoning Counter reviews require approximately 2 weeks for creation and review for most application types (DRX, ZC, DET, DS)
- OTC (Over the Counter) Permits take 2-3 weeks
- OTC Permits requiring Plan Check take up to 7 weeks
- Permits requiring assigned Plan Check take up to 8 weeks
- Windows, Kitchen/Bath remodels with NO wall change, water heater replacement, and no Plan Check required (requires no appointments) take up to 5 days for review
- Mechanical, Electrical or Plumbing Permits (MEPs) take up to 5 days for review
- Solar Energy Systems take up to 10 days for review
- Permits requiring assigned Plan Check take up to 7 weeks for creation and submittal review
- Accessory Dwelling Units (ADUs) requiring assigned Plan Checks take up to 3 weeks for creation and submittal review
- Final Plan Check (after Plan Check approval) takes 5-7 weeks
- Issuance of permits: once payment is received, final plan check is completed, signed declarations have been returned, fire and construction and recycling is completed, takes up to 5 days
How to Obtain Status on Your Permit: