This working group will help the Task Force make recommendations by gathering and assessing data about alternatives to policing that increase safety, including:
- Emergency responses to, e.g., mental health crises, intimate partner violence, incidents in schools, people who are unsheltered;
- Areas that may be suitable for decriminalization, such as quality of life and other non-violent infractions;
- Community-based programs that can replace and/or civilianization of a police function, such as transformative justice circles, community care pods, and violence interrupters;
- Overview and operation of emergency and non-emergency phone numbers;
- Targeted community investments to address root causes of poverty and violence, including investments in programs that prevent crime (e.g., job creation (youth/adults), housing, education, and recreational activities).