The City of Oakland has released the 2023-2031 Housing Element Public Hearing Draft. This revised draft of the Housing Element addresses community feedback received from June 2022 to mid-October 2022 and fulfills requirements for compliance with state law.
The Public Hearing Draft includes several new components:
- An executive summary
- A substantially updated Chapter 4: Housing Action Plan
- Appendix J: Proposed Rezoning Changes
- Appendix K: City of Oakland Response to the Findings Letter from State HCD, dated 9/28/22
- Appendix L: Response to Public Comments.
The Housing Element Public Hearing Draft is also being shared with State Housing and Community Development (State HCD) department today. Pursuant to AB 215, the Housing Element Public Hearing Draft will be formally submitted to State HCD on December 7, 2022, after the seven-day public review period (Nov. 30 to Dec. 6). Comment letters received prior to the formal submittal will be included in the formal submittal package. Comment letters received after the formal submittal will be forwarded to State HCD at the time the comments are received.
After the seven-day public review period, the public can continue to provide feedback on the Housing Element Public Hearing Draft until December 29, 2022. Comment letters received after December 6, 2022 will be forwarded to State HCD at the time the comments are received and will be included as a supplemental document to the agenda reports for the Planning Commission and City Council public hearings beginning in January 2023.
Please see the project milestone dates below for an overview of the process moving forward:
- November 29, 2022 – Publication of Public Hearing Draft Housing Element
- November 30, 2022 - December 6, 2022 – Seven-day public review period, pursuant to AB 215
- December 7, 2022 – Submittal to State HCD
- December 29, 2022 – End of the comment period for the Housing Element Public Hearing Draft
- January 2023 – Public Hearings for Housing Element Adoption (Dates TBD)
How to Comment on the Housing Element
There are several ways to comment on the 2023-2031 Housing Element before it is adopted by City Council in early 2023:
- Email feedback to: email@example.com
- Participate in community events posted on our website
- Attend upcoming public hearings at the Planning Commission and City Council on the Housing Element, beginning in January 2023. An email will be sent out when the public hearing dates are scheduled.