RV Pilot Program for Vacant Properties

On July 28, 2020, the Oakland City Council adopted Ordinance Number 13611, codified as Oakland Municipal Code 5.72 , establishing a Pilot Program to allow an individual Recreational Vehicle (RV) to occupy a vacant property where residential activities are permitted.

Overview of RV Pilot Program

** Note: On November 16, 2021, the Oakland City Council adopted the Construction Innovation and Expanded Housing Options Ordinance. The new ordinance replaces the RV Pilot Program. The RV Pilot Program ended on December 31, 2021. Permits issued under the RV Pilot Program before December 31, 2021, remain valid for one year. For information about the new ordinance please visit: https://www.oaklandca.gov/services/apply-for-vehicular-residential-facilities-occupied-recreational-vehicles-rvs-and-tiny-homes-on-wheels**

The goal of the Pilot Program is to provide a win-win situation for RV occupants and vacant property owners alike:

  • Offer RV occupants with a safe, affordable, and sanitary place to live; and
  • Exempt vacant property owners from the City of Oakland’s Vacant Property Tax under Oakland Municipal Code 4.56.

Upon receipt of a complete application, the City Administrator’s Office will issue Temporary RV Occupancy Permits for twelve (12) months, which applicants can then renew annually. Permit applicants must demonstrate that the property can provide electricity, water, garbage pick-up, and sewage disposal as described below.

Program Summary

Who is Eligible to Apply for a Temporary RV Occupancy Permit?

The owner of an undeveloped property, as defined by Oakland Municipal Code (OMC) Sections 5.72.020, can apply for a Temporary RV Occupancy Permit.

What Locations Are Eligible for Temporary RV Occupancy

Only undeveloped property, as defined by Oakland Municipal Code (OMC) Sections 5.72.020, where residential uses are allowed, provided the property is not within the S-9 Fire Safety Protection Combining Zone as defined in Chapter 17.88 of the Oakland Planning Code. A reference map of approved areas can be found here.

How Can I Apply for a Temporary RV Occupancy for Vacant Property Permit?

  1. Step 1: Apply. Applications are available here.
  2. Step 2: Staff Review. Staff will review the application to ensure that all the required documents have been submitted. Applications missing documents will be automatically asked to resubmit a complete application.
  3. Step 3: Final Inspection: Prior to issuing a permit municipal code officers with the Special Activity Permits Division will inspect the undeveloped property to confirm compliance with health and safety requirements.
  4. Step 4: Receive Permit. If the inspection confirms compliance with health and safety requirements, applicants will receive the temporary RV Occupancy Permit after submitting payment of the annual permit fee.

Frequently Asked Questions Regarding the RV Pilot Program

Where Can I Find More Information on Vacant Property Owners or RV Occupants Interested in This Program?

If you have questions regarding this program, please email Greg Minor at gminor@oaklandca.gov.



Name Location Contact Information

Asa Wynn-Grant

2645 Wallace

757-831-0085 or


Margaret Pham

3303 Elmwood Ave.

408-625-1546 or


Gregory Abbott

Thornhill Dr.

2340 Powell St. #294

Emeryville, CA 94608

Mr. or Mrs. Edwards

Myrtle St.

916.234.0392 or DresMM@gmail.com

Mark Hoffman


Roy Jones

West St.

7707 Austin Road #AX7308 Stockton, CA 95215.

Velma Chavis

510-484-4426 or vchavis@sbcglobal.net

Randy Ip

1019 70th Ave.




Oshonna Wallace


41.6' 5th-Wheel Trailer

Cynthia Lovell

619-315-6625 or 1wellkept@gmail.com

1990 Alpen lite DL 27'