The goal of the Pilot Program is to provide a win-win situation for RV occupants and vacant property owners alike:
- Offer RV occupants with a safe, affordable, and sanitary place to live; and
- Exempt vacant property owners from the City of Oakland’s Vacant Property Tax under Oakland Municipal Code 4.56.
Upon receipt of a complete application, the City Administrator’s Office will issue Temporary RV Occupancy Permits for twelve (12) months, which applicants can then renew annually. Permit applicants must demonstrate that the property can provide electricity, water, garbage pick-up, and sewage disposal as described below.
Who is Eligible to Apply for a Temporary RV Occupancy Permit?
The owner of an undeveloped property, as defined by Oakland Municipal Code (OMC) Sections 5.72.020, can apply for a Temporary RV Occupancy Permit.
What Locations Are Eligible for Temporary RV Occupancy
Only undeveloped property, as defined by Oakland Municipal Code (OMC) Sections 5.72.020, where residential uses are allowed, provided the property is not within the S-9 Fire Safety Protection Combining Zone as defined in Chapter 17.88 of the Oakland Planning Code. A reference map of approved areas can be found here.
How Can I Apply for a Temporary RV Occupancy for Vacant Property Permit?
- Step 1: Apply. Applications are available here.
- Step 2: Staff Review. Staff will review the application to ensure that all the required documents have been submitted. Applications missing documents will be automatically asked to resubmit a complete application.
- Step 3: Final Inspection: Prior to issuing a permit municipal code officers with the Special Activity Permits Division will inspect the undeveloped property to confirm compliance with health and safety requirements.
- Step 4: Receive Permit. If the inspection confirms compliance with health and safety requirements, applicants will receive the temporary RV Occupancy Permit after submitting payment of the annual permit fee.
Frequently Asked Questions Regarding the RV Pilot Program
Where Can I Find More Information on Vacant Property Owners or RV Occupants Interested in This Program?
If you have questions regarding this program, please email Greg Minor at firstname.lastname@example.org.