High School Internship Program - Summer Internship
In collaboration with the Oakland Unified School District, the City of Oakland Department of Transportation (OakDOT) envisions the following in its High School Internship Program. OakDOT
● Develop and practice interns’ skills in transportation planning, civil engineering, street design, surveying, community engagement, project management and administration.
● Connect interns with transportation professionals who can support students’ interests and their development as young professionals, such as through lunch and learns/seminars, field visits, project tours, networking events, and racial equity trainings.
● Empower interns whose backgrounds are historically underrepresented in transportation planning and engineering to “test drive” a career in transportation.
● Engage interns who are passionate about helping and serving their communities and advancing racial equity.
Applicants must be students currently enrolled in or be returning to school imminently. All disciplines/academic interests are encouraged to apply.
A student trainee must have at least a 2.5 GPA
Must be fifteen and a half (15 ½) years of age or older.
Student trainee job classification - https://www.governmentjobs.com...
Desired Skills or Qualities
● Ability to work independently
● Creative problem-solving and analytical skills
● Ability or willingness to work as part of a team
● Writing and oral communication skills.
● Second language proficiency encouraged (Spanish, Vietnamese, Chinese).
● Interest in serving Oakland communities
How to Apply
Interested students apply through the OUSD ECCCO summer internship program. If you have questions, please contact Quinn Wallace, at email@example.com, Julieth Ortiz at
firstname.lastname@example.org, Jasmine Zamora at email@example.com, or Yvonne Chan at firstname.lastname@example.org.
College and Graduate Student Internship Program
The Oakland Department of Transportation (OakDOT) student intern team is expanding! Successful candidates will have the opportunity to gain experience working in a fast-paced, progressive transportation department and develop the skills needed for a career in multimodal, mobility-focused transportation planning or public administration.
Applications closed February 10, 2022.
Interns may join one of the following work programs:
See this list for descriptions of teams and projects and desired qualifications.
How to Apply:
Application packages must be submitted online no later than Thursday, February 10, 2022 using this form.
Applications must include three PDF attachments, titled with applicant's name (e.g. JaneStanley_OakDOTapp.pdf):
a. A cover letter. We suggest addressing the following topics: What motivated you to apply for an intern position with OakDOT? In what areas are you hoping to grow through an internship with OakDOT? How will you leverage this internship to advance your career?
c. Unofficial transcript (official transcript will need be provided later)
- Must be currently enrolled full time in a Community College, Undergraduate Program, or Graduate Program
- Applicants will apply for one of three internship classifications: Student Trainee, Engineer Intern, or Management Intern. An Engineering Intern must be currently enrolled in an engineering undergraduate program. A Management Intern must be currently enrolled in a Graduate Degree program.
- Student Trainees must have at least a 2.5 GPA
- Must be vaccinated against COVID-19
- No prior job experience is required. Any combination of experience and education that would likely provide the desired skills is qualifying
Interns may work a maximum of 960 hours per fiscal year (July 1 to June 30).
- Student Trainee $15.39 - $29.05
- Engineering Intern $26.64 - $28.00
- Management Intern $31.50 - $38.67
- Application opens Monday, January 3, 2022
- Application deadline Thursday, February 10, 2022
- Notification for interviews Tuesday, March 1, 2022 - Friday, March 10, 2022
- Interviews Friday, March 10, 2022 - Thursday, March 24, 2022
- Selected candidates will be notified April 15, 2022
- Internships could begin as early as May 2022 or begin as late as Fall 2022 depending on the team's and applicant's schedules
Applicants from diverse disciplines are encouraged to apply. Disciplines may include, but are not limited to, Communications, City and Regional Planning, Computer Science, Geography, Journalism, Public Administration, Public Policy, Ethnic Studies, Public Health, Public Relations, Transportation, Engineering, Environmental Design or other interdisciplinary programs providing the requisite abilities.
We strongly encourage BIPOC, people with disabilities, women, and people with other underrepresented identities to apply.