Alert: An Air Quality Advisory has been issued for the entire Bay Area. The current air quality in Oakland is VERY UNHEALTHY. Stay inside. Limit outdoor activities.
When Fat's, Oils or Grease are poured down the drain at home or work, sewer blockages and overflows can occur. Sewer overflows spill raw sewage onto Oakland streets and sidewalks, into storm drains leading to the Bay and onto your property.
It is ILLEGAL to dispose of household items such as pan drippings, cooking oil and shortening, fat from meats, dairy products, oily sauces and salad dressing.
Oakland has several programs to reduce FOG in city sewers:
- The City restricts the use of the public sanitary sewer system to the discharge of sewage that does not endanger the condition, operation or capacity of the system.
- The City prohibits the discharge of FOG into the sanitary sewer system, and reserves the right to disconnect buildings from the sanitary sewer system at the property owner's expense, per Oakland Municipal Code Chapter 13.08 - Building Sewers.
- The City and East Bay Municipal Utility District (EBMUD) are conducting outreach to residences and restaurants regarding proper disposal of FOG.
- EBMUD checks restaurants for grease control devices (GCDs) and informs the City of those without GCDs.
- For more information on FOG, EBMUD's webpage.