Alert: An Air Quality Advisory has been issued for the entire Bay Area. The current air quality in Oakland is UNHEALTHY. Stay inside. Limit outdoor activities.
About the Program
Maximum Amount: Loan amounts are 30% of the purchase price, not to exceed $60,000.
Minimum Amount: N/A
Eligible Applicants: Applicants must be first-time homebuyers. A first-time homebuyer is someone who has not owned their main residence during the last three years. Some exceptions may apply.
Location: Property must be located in the City of Oakland.
Eligible Properties: Any owner occupied or vacant single family dwelling, including condos, townhomes and live work units. Purchase price cannot exceed $875,000.
Income: Applicants' annual household income cannot exceed 80% of the Area Median Income. Income of all household members 18 years or older must be considered (includes house/roommates).
Occupancy: Single-Family Dwelling; Owner-Occupied only
Eligible Uses: Primary Residence
Other Requirements: Buyers must contribute 3% of the purchase price from their own funds to pay for down payment or closing costs. This program has no residency requirement or preference.
Interest Rate: 3.0% simple
- No Monthly Payments
- Due in 30 Years OR when the borrower sells, transfers, refinances the property (under certain conditions) or converts the home to rental property.
Prepayment Penalty: None
Security: Deed of Trust
How to Apply
Status: Funding is available. You can subscribe to email updates or call our Programs Information line.
Deadline: Funds are available on a first-come first-served basis. Please call or check the website periodically for status updates.
- Reserve space in an Education Workshop by calling 238-7486.
- After getting a certificate from the workshop, apply through one of the participating lenders. (Applications are NOT made directly through the City.)
Application Approval Process for the First-Time Homebuyer CalHome Program
1. Attend a home buyer education workshop
2. Select a real estate agent.
3. Find a home.
4. Sign a purchase contract.
5. Complete the loan application with a participating lender by providing them a copy of the purchase contract.
6. Lender structures your financing package and reserves program funds.
7. City of Oakland commits funds to the transaction. Funds are committed on a first-come-first serve basis only after the buyer is in contract and eligible financing is structured.
8. Lender submits application to City of Oakland.
9. City of Oakland verifies eligibility and issues approval letter.
10. City coordinates loan closing and funding with first lender and escrow.
Application: N/A. See lender for application. *Area Median Income limits are revised annually.