This website is a work in progress. If you'd like to give website feedback you can fill out our public survey here.
Visit the Consumer Financial Protection BureauVisit Online
Visit the California Housing Finance Agency (CalHFA)Visit Online
Visit the Alameda County Mortgage Credit Certificate (MCC) ProgramVisit Online
Several local organizations and other government agencies provide counseling to individuals and families looking to purchase a home in Oakland and the Bay Area, or for individuals and families who may have received a notice of default or a foreclosure notice.
- East Bay Neighborhood Housing Services - Provides pre-purchase homeownership workshops, mortgage delinquency and default resolution, rental housing counseling, credit counseling, and post-purchase counseling.
- Habitat for Humanity East Bay/Silicon Valley - Provides pre-purchase housing counseling. Counseling includes loan pre-qualification, credit repair, debt reduction, and budget counseling.
- Money Management International - Provides budget, credit and financial education; pre-purchase housing counseling; and mortgage delinquency and default counseling.
- Neighborhood Assistance Corporation of America (NACA) - is a non-profit community advocacy and housing services organization. Free services include assistance with mortgage loans, purchase and renovation loans, or loans to refinancing out of a high-rate loan.
- NID Housing Counseling Agency - Provides housing counseling solutions including pre-purchase counseling, financial literacy, rental assistance counseling and mobility counseling, delinquency/default counseling, reverse mortgage counseling, post-purchase counseling, predatory lending counseling, and community development counseling.
- Operation HOPE - is a national non-profit self-help organization and a leading provider of economic empowerment tools and services for the under-served. The mission of Operation HOPE is the eradication of poverty as we know it in America by utilizing education as the ultimate poverty eradication tool. Operation HOPE’s housing counseling program helps clients overcome a variety of barriers to homeownership, including bad credit, lack of down payment, existing debt, and money management issues.
- Housing and Economic Rights Advocates (HERA) - is a legal services and advocacy nonprofit organization that promotes affordable and fair credit access, asset building and preservation. HERA helps homeowners fight abusive mortgage servicing and address problems with homeowner associations, foreclosure, escrow and other homeowner problems. In addition, HERA provides assistance applying for loan modifications, advocacy for homeowners to save their homes from foreclosure, counseling regarding predatory lending, credit/debt concerns and household financial management.
- Community Housing Development Corp (CHDC) - Provides pre-purchase homeownership workshops, mortgage delinquency and default resolution, rental housing counseling, credit counseling, financial fitness education, and post-purchase counseling.