Terminate Your Campaign
You must submit both Form 410 and Form 460 to terminate your campaign
Online Filing SystemLog in
To terminate your campaign committee:
- Submit Form 410 to California Secretary of State AND a copy with the Public Ethics Commission
- Submit Form 460 to to the Public Ethics Commission
You may terminate your committee if:
(All the following criteria must be met.)
• You have filed all required campaign statements.
• Your final campaign statement has a $0 balance.
• You do not anticipate receiving further contributions.
• You do not anticipate making further expenditures.
• You are not expecting a refund for filing or ballot statement fees paid from committee funds.
But what if...
I filed a Form 470 (Officeholder and Candidate Campaign Statement - Short Form)?
- Defeated candidates who filed the Form 470 have no reporting obligations after the election if they did not raise or spend $2000 or more during the election.
- Successful candidates (officeholders) who filed the Form 470 and who do not raise or spend $2,000 or more during the calendar year are required to file the Form 470 by July 31 each year if their elected position pays them $200 or more per month.
- Judges who filed a Form 470 should contact their filing officer for filing requirements.
I still have funds in my campaign bank account?
Until the funds become surplus, you may use campaign funds for political, legislative, or governmental purposes. You may also donate funds to bona fide charitable, educational, civic, religious, or similar tax exempt, non-profit organizations. The donation may not personally benefit the candidate, treasurer, or his/her spouse or dependent children.
I have outstanding debt?
You may file your termination statements showing outstanding debt. In doing so, you are declaring that you do not have the ability to discharge debts, loans, or other obligations. If you wish to continue fundraising, you may not terminate the committee.
I need more information?
E-mail the FPPC for advice at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 1-866-275-3772 Mon-Thurs., 9-11:30 a.m.