Pay Overdue Garbage Bill

You can pay an overdue garbage bill in a variety of ways

Pay Online
Your Garbage Bill
1 (866) 964-2729
Pay by Phone

Garbage Bill Frequently Asked Questions

What is the difference between a “Garbage Bill” and the “Garbage Administrative Fee?”

The Garbage Bill is a fee that you incur from Waste Management for your quarterly or monthly garbage service and is paid directly to Waste Management of Alameda County. The Garbage Administrative Fee is a penalty you incur when you are delinquent for your garbage service fee.

I have a garbage bill. Do I pay Waste Management of Alameda or the City of Oakland?

If you have a regular garbage bill, you will pay Waste Management of Alameda. If your bill is very late, it becomes an "Assessment" and it may become part of your property tax bill.

What type of payment method is accepted by Waste Management online?

You may pay your invoice online 24 hours a day using a Master Card, Visa, American Express and Discover.

Who do I contact to change or update my garbage service?

If you need to change your service or update your garbage customer information, please contact Waste Management at 510-613-8710.


If you are delinquent for your Waste Management Garbage bill, the City of Oakland covers your bill until you pay in full to Waste Management for your residential garbage service. This ensures that you continue to receive garbage service for the future periods. See Oakland Municipal Code 8.28.180.

Where do I make payment for the Garbage Administrative Fee?

You can make your payment online, over the phone, by mail, or in person.

What if I don't think I should have to pay the Garbage Administrative Fee?

Each quarter, you should receive a notice for the administrative fee. On this notice, there will be a date and time for an in-office administrative hearing. At this hearing a staff member for Waste Management will be present to review your garbage bill and service issues.