Online Privacy and Security Policy
Thank you for visiting the City of Oakland's Web site (http://www.oaklandca.gov, http://apps.oaklandca.gov) and reviewing our Privacy and Security Policy. This policy addresses collection, use and security of and access to information that may be obtained through use of City of Oakland digital assets (i.e. www.oaklandca.gov, apps.oaklandca.gov). It is provided for informational purposes only. The information presented here is not meant to be a contract of any type, either express or implied, and should not be treated as such by site visitors. The information in this statement and/or the policies described here may change at any time, without prior notice to any visitor.
This notice covers the following topics:
• Section B. Information Collected and How it is Used
• Section C. Personal Information and Choice
• Section D. Public Access to Information
• Section E. Review and Correction of Personally Identifiable Information
• Section G. Security
• Section H. Electronic Commerce
• Section I. Avoiding Internet Fraud
• Section J. Disclaimer
• Section K. Contact Information
Section B. Information Collected and How it is Used
Information collected if you only browse this site.
If you do nothing during your visit to our web site but browse, read pages, or download information, we will gather and store certain information about your visit. This information does not identify you personally. We automatically collect and store the following information about your visit:
1. The Internet Protocol Address and domain name used. The Internet Protocol address is a numerical identifier assigned either to your Internet service provider or directly to your computer. We use the Internet Protocol Address to direct Internet traffic to you. This address can be translated to determine the domain name of your service provider (e.g. xcompany.com or yourschool.edu). Generally, the City only determines visitor domain names if a security issue is suspected;
2. The type of browser and operating system you used;
3. The date and time you visited this site;
4. The web pages or services you accessed at this site; and
5. The web site you visited prior to coming to this web site.
Information is collected for statistical purposes and to help the City manage the site. The City's web site uses software programs to create summary statistics, which are used for such purposes as assessing what information is of most and least interest, determining technical design specifications, and identifying system performance or problem areas.
For site security purposes and to ensure that this service remains available to all users, the City's web site employs software programs to monitor network traffic to identify unauthorized attempts to upload or change information, or otherwise cause damage. Except for authorized law enforcement investigations and the security purposes mentioned elsewhere in this notice, no other attempts are made to identify individual users or their usage habits. Raw data logs are used for no other purposes and are scheduled for regular destruction in accordance with public records retention schedules.
What we collect if you volunteer information.
If during your visit to our web site you participate in a survey, send an e-mail, participate in a City hosted mailing list or web-based discussion, or perform some other transaction online, the following additional information will be collected:
1. The e-mail address, and contents of the e-mail, for those who communicate with us via e-mail or who participate in a City hosted mailing list or web-based discussion.
2. Information volunteered in response to a survey.
3. Information volunteered through an online form for any other purpose.
4. Information volunteered by participating in an online transaction with the City.
The information collected is not limited to text characters and may include audio, video, and graphic information formats you send us.
We use your e-mail address to respond to you. It is the City's Policy to not use your e-mail address to send you unsolicited e-mail unless you specifically elect to receive it. Survey information is used for the purpose identified by the survey. Information from other online forms is used only for conducting City business related to the online form.
Information provided for a transaction is used only for the purpose of completing and recording the transaction. Information requested will be no more specific than if a visitor were engaging in the transaction by other means, including by telephone or in-person while visiting a City facility. In all cases, the City strives to collect the minimum information necessary to comply with applicable law or provide the service requested.
The City does not sell, rent or otherwise distribute visitor's information, including electronic mail addresses, to any outside company or organization, unless legally required to do so. This applies to information that may be collected on the City's site and on that of any third party with whom the City contracts to provide Internet related services.