Your Grand Your Vision
The Oakland Department of Transportation (OakDOT) needs your input for the Grand Avenue Mobility Plan to create a corridor that reinforces fair and just treatment, and safety for all.
There are two ways for you to engage right now part of Phase I:
1) a survey and 2) an interactive web map. The web map will allow you to drop points on the corridor where you experience issues. The survey will ask questions about how you use Grand Avenue about your visions for Grand Avenue in the future. Please visit: https://bit.ly/oaklandgrandave to help create a community-led vision for Grand Avenue.
Phase II and III interactive tool will conveniently be at the same link throughout the planning process: https://bit.ly/oaklandgrandave.
More on the Plan
The Grand Avenue Mobility Plan will collaborate with AC Transit, community-based organizations, and Oaklanders along the corridor to conceptualize an implementable plan that will enhance transit service and improve traffic safety on this high injury corridor without impeding goods movement. The extent of the corridor study spans from Mandela Parkway to MacArthur Boulevard, including distinct neighborhoods along Grand Avenue. In addition, UC Berkeley students in Research Seminar in Urban Studies partnered with OakDOT to look into the historical racial and social injustices in Oakland neighborhoods along Grand Avenue. Check out their research here!
Goals of the Planning Process
- Educate about Project Goals and Timeline – Convey information to stakeholders about the Grand Avenue Mobility Plan in a way that is accessible, meaningful, and linguistically appropriate, including a timeline for the project and milestones at which people can provide feedback.
- Build Relationships and Shared Language of Goals and Vision– The project process will be amplified by the support of local community-based organizations, stakeholders, and youth. The process aims to build local champions and ensure the plan and identified alternative(s) have community buy-in and support.
- Gather Input on the Diverse Needs and Uses of Grand Avenue – The process aims to capture and integrate how residents and other stakeholders use and envision the Grand Avenue corridor. The project team aims to seamlessly integrate the engagement process with the technical process to ensure community and stakeholder input is reflected in the final product.
- Comprehensive Corridor Plan
- Final Product – After listening and collaborating with community and agency stakeholders, the project team will put together a comprehensive plan including data collection/analysis, reflections from engagement process, corridor concepts, funding opportunities, and implementation plan.
Community-Based Organization Team
To better reach historically underserved and underrepresented West Oakland community members, we contracted with the three Community-Based Organization Team below to help capture the voices of disadvantaged groups and inform the overall planning process.
- West Oakland Environmental Indicator Project
- Black Film Guild: https://blackfilmguild.com/
- East Bay Asian Local Development Corporation: https://ebaldc.org/
Current Plan Status *
- The community-based organization and OakDOT team will be leading focus group meetings with historically underserved and underrepresented West Oaklanders including:
- People with Disabilities
- Transit riders
- Multi-generational West Oakland families and neighbors
- Affordable housing sites
- 10/29/2020: The community-based organization team led a West Oakland focused orientation meeting to introduce the effort, how it came about, and discussed the planning process with community stakeholders. Check out the recorded virtual meeting at https://youtu.be/Y05_kF1OkT8 (no need to watch the whole meeting, click the desired time stamp links in the video description). You can also find the presentation at Grand Ave Mobility Plan Orientation Meeting Presentation
- Phase I virtual engagement: OakDOT and consultants launched virtual engagement in August 2020. The team promoted the online survey and interactive map through flyers, sidewalk stickers, Facebook, Instagram, and NextDoor. Summary of Phase I virtual engagement coming soon!
*The planning process has been greatly impacted due to COVID-19 and regional restrictions. The plan is undergoing an extension to continue the process into 2021.
Other Projects in the Area
West Grand Avenue Repaving & Pedestrian Safety Improvement Project: OakDOT is implementing safety improvements on West Grand Avenue between Mandela Parkway and Market Street. Please visit West Grand Avenue Repaving & Pedestrian Safety Improvement Project website to learn more.
7th Street Connection Project: The 7th Street Connection Project is an effort by OakDOT to target State or Local Transportation Grant funding to go above and beyond what is planned as part of repaving, and to extend the project limits to connect to Downtown Oakland. Please visit 7th Street Connection Project website to learn more information and provide feedback.