UPDATE: The 35% designs for the 7th Street Connection Project are now complete. Click here to view.
In the early 1900s, 7th Street was the center of Black jazz and blues culture in the Bay Area – lined with supper clubs and bisected by a streetcar line leading to the Oakland freight and ferry terminal. Since then, 7th Street has seen decades of upheaval by large infrastructure projects, namely the overhead BART trackway, the Oakland Main Post Office, and the Cypress Freeway. Today, 7th Street has wide lanes and high-speed traffic, rail tracks and uneven pavement, and sidewalks overgrown by weeds.
The 7th Street Connection Project is an effort to improve 7th Street to better serve those who travel on it. This project will make improvements recommended by the “Let’s Bike Oakland” 2019 Bike Plan, the West Oakland Community Action Plan, and the West Oakland Specific Plan.
The project aims to reconnect West Oakland and Downtown, create safer and more comfortable ways to travel for those walking, rolling, and taking the bus, improve air quality, and reflect the rich history of 7th Street. Improvements may include:
- Providing an all-ages bicycling connection to Downtown that is fully separated from vehicle traffic
- Constructing bus boarding islands to improve transit access and reliability
- Installing fiber cable connectivity to improve signal coordination and expand OAK WiFi, a program that provides free internet to Oaklanders to help close the digital divide.
- Shortening pedestrian crossings and installing other crosswalk improvements to improve safety
- Upgrading traffic signals and potentially installing new signals to enhance safety and reduce truck idling and emissions
- Installing improved pedestrian lighting for increased visibility
- Planting maximum carbon and particulate matter-capturing street trees and landscaping in an effort to address air quality disparities
- Sidewalk upgrades to increase pedestrian comfort and capacity
- Working with the community to provide artistic, cultural, and place-making elements that highlight 7th Street’s history
The City of Oakland was successful in winning $14.1 million in Active Transportation Program (ATP) funds to complete design and construction of the 7th Street Connection Project! The Oakland Department of Transportation has secured consultant support for design and community outreach activities, which will begin in mid-2023. The estimated start date for construction of this project is 2027.
The City of Oakland Department of Transportation is excited to speak with the community about the opportunity to re-imagine 7th Street as both a great street for getting around and as a place for reflecting on the history of West Oakland. Please scroll to the top of this page for upcoming opportunities for public input and comment.
For questions, please email us at email@example.com
Past Events & Meetings
Thursday, November 2, 2023 - Presenting at the Acorn & Oak Center Neighborhood Council Meeting. Major Projects Division staff will present the 7th Street Connection Project. Meeting begins at 6:00pm. This meeting was canceled.
Sunday, November 5, 2023 - Pop-Up at the West Oakland Farmers Market. At this pop-up event, we'll have the current designs of the project, as well as surveys and project fact sheets in multiple languages. Come stop by! We'll be there from 10AM to 2PM.
Thursday, November 9, 2023 - Presenting at the Prescott Neighborhood Council Meeting. Major Projects Division staff will present the 7th Street Connection Project. Meeting starts at 6:30pm.
Saturday, November 11, 2023 - 7th Street West Oakland Walk & Talk (Part 1). We'd love to learn about your experience traveling on 7th Street in West Oakland and see what you think of the proposed 7th Street Connection Project designs. We'll start our walk at Mandela Parkway and end at Adeline Street. During the walk, we'll take breaks to chat about the current state of 7th Street and listen to your valuable feedback on the proposed 7th Street Connection Project. Meet in front of 1350 7th Street (Mandela Gateway Apartments) at 10AM.
Saturday, December 2, 2023 - 7th Street West Oakland Walk & Talk (Part 2). This will be the second part of the Walk & Talk events, focused on 7th Street between Filbert Street and Martin Luther King Jr. Way. Meet at 800 Market Street (McDonald's) near the corner of 7th Street and Market Street at 10AM.
Page last updated February 13, 2023.