For Immediate Release: December 16, 2020
OPD NEWS: Public Safety Advisory
The Oakland Police Department’s Special Victims Unit is currently investigating several incidents that occurred in November and December, where female adult victims were sexually assaulted near Lake Merritt and the Downtown Oakland area. This is an ongoing investigation, and an individual has been arrested in connection with this case. Anyone with information is asked to contact the Oakland Police Department Special Victims Unit (510) 238-3641.
Reduce your risk:
The safety of our community members and those visiting our city is paramount. The police department has provided a list of tips so you can protect yourself from potential predators.
· Be alert, avoid distractions such as talking on a cellular phone or listening to headphones.
· Be aware of your surroundings, don’t just focus on what is in front of you. Use your peripheral vision to see behind you.
· Don’t walk alone in isolated and dimly lit areas including, parking lots, alleys, or roadways.
· Take a friend when doing outdoor activities such as exercise, or walking your pets.
· Lock your doors and window when driving
#OPDCARES initiative is about working together as a community to help stop the tragic loss of life and reduce the level of violence in our city. Collectively, we want to ensure Oaklanders and our visitors are safe in our community.