How We Define Use of Force
- Use of Force - Any physical or mechanical intervention used by a member or employee to defend, control, overpower, restrain or overcome the resistance of an individual.
- Reasonable Force - That amount of force that is objectively reasonable to affect a lawful police purpose and protect the safety of members or others based upon the totality of the circumstances.
- Lethal Force - Any force that creates a substantial risk of causing death or serious bodily injury.
- Less-Lethal Force - Any use of force, other than lethal force, which by design and application is less likely to cause serious bodily injury or death.
- Officer-Involved Shooting - Any non-accidental discharge of a firearm by an officer outside of training.